• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Welcome Sam Stubbs (and Cheerio)

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
I would have thought GC knew he was close to making a start and as such I think we made a mistake in letting him go.

GC’s decisions are beginning to be a bit questionable and worrying could never understand why he didn’t play Diabate against Charlton.

Last edited:

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
I would have thought GC knew he was close to making a start and as such I think we made a mistake in letting him go.

GC’s decisions are beginning to be a bit questionable and worrying could never understand why he didn’t play Diabate against Charlton.
3 successive games, starting with a clean sheet, but 3 different back 3s.

tom_ecfc

This was the one transfer out that I didnt understand.

Given the time, effort and money invested in trying to get him fit, when he was physically able, he was our best defender by a mile and I assume that he is now fit to play for the remainder of the season.

I can only assume that he made it clear that he wouldn't sign off next season and GC and the Club decided to cut their their losses and sign Aimson as his replacement.
I think you have to factor in he has been out injured for so long and a long way from home with a lack of support (non ecfc) around him. May look strange from afar but I’m sure there is more to it internally.

StudentGrecian

Also thought it was a weird one after the way GC spoke so highly of his character. GC said he needed to go to get games, yet he surely gets in our side if fit, he was streets ahead of everyone else last year.

I guess the thought was that we didn’t think he could prove consistent fitness. I’d have taken a gamble on him knowing he only had 6 months left on his deal, Stubbs clearly wanted to play.

manc grecian

Maybe once we got Aimson we had to get rid of Stubbs

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Maybe once we got Aimson we had to get rid of Stubbs
Stubbs is a better player than Aimson (When Fit). But again we needed a fit footballer. It is weird though, with Stubbs seemingly available we decided to get rid and replace him with Aimson. We needed both Stubbs (assuming fit) and Aimson (Albeit he has been unconvincing thus far)

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
Keeping Stubbs is a huge risk given the amount of games we have got out of him in 2 years. Many on here would have been delighted to offload him a couple of weeks ago.

andrew p long

Also thought it was a weird one after the way GC spoke so highly of his character. GC said he needed to go to get games, yet he surely gets in our side if fit, he was streets ahead of everyone else last year.

I guess the thought was that we didn’t think he could prove consistent fitness. I’d have taken a gamble on him knowing he only had 6 months left on his deal, Stubbs clearly wanted to play.
I suspect GC decided that he wasn't going to offer Sam Stubbs a new contract for next season, so it was only fair to give Stubbs a chance to get a new contract elsewhere (for 18 months) this January.

However, bringing the number of central defenders back down to 4 runs the risk of a repeat of what happened when the summer window closed - then two centre halves got injured as soon as the window closed. Now it sounds as if Cheikh's foot injury has re-occurred leaving us threadbare in central defence.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
Hardly threadbare. Aimsom, Hartridge, Sweeney, Grounds and Ed James can be recalled to play.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Why would we have kept Stubbs with Diabate, Hartridge and Aimson, Sweeney and Grounds? For all we know Stubbs will require his knee draining within a week. Of course everyone could forsee Chieck getting injured. Aimson is a long term solution in place of a player with a history of injuries who was on a sizeable wage. It was excellent business at the time to offload him. The liklihood of him being offered another deal was minimal. Move on