• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Pedro Borges signs pro

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
Make the season safe as soon as possible and we should be giving him a couple of matches before the end of this campaign.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Great news. Likeable lad and very confident in front of the camera. As usual Scott Palfrey does these interviews so well.

Can anyone fill in the gaps in his story? Dad's a former professional Portuguese footballer. Pedro came to England with limited English (when, why?) . Was at Yeovil, but moved to City (how come he moved to ECFC - had he not signed a scholarship at Yeovil?)

(PS I love the way he is so clear with Scott about other academy graduates who have become first team regulars. Effectively he says 'its because of that that I've decided to come here' I see that in his first game at the start of the season he was third sub, after we'd brought on a couple of players called Key and Brown (!) replacing Harry Kite, but in preference to unused subs called Collins and Dieng. An amazing experience at 17.)

Last edited:

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Great news. Likeable lad and very confident in front of the camera. As usual Scott Palfrey does these interviews so well.

Can anyone fill in the gaps in his story? Dad's a former professional Portuguese footballer. Pedro came to England with limited English (when, why?) . Was at Yeovil, but moved to City (how come he moved to ECFC - had he not signed a scholarship at Yeovil?)

(PS I love the way he is so clear with Scott about other academy graduates who have become first team regulars. Effectively he says 'its because of that that I've decided to come here' I see that in his first game at the start of the season he was third sub, after we'd brought on a couple of players called Key and Brown (!) replacing Harry Kite, but in preference to unused subs called Collins and Dieng. An amazing experience at 17.)
Can't add much except that his first game was at Axminster in January 22 when Aamir Daniels also made his debut.

DawlishBouy

His father was called Sandro (not Paulo) Borges. Here’s a video of him featuring Pedro:

DawlishBouy

I don’t know why he came to this country but the earliest I could find of him in this country was playing for an academy in Easbourne. He then went to Yeovil College and played for Yeovil’s youth team. Yeovil shut down their academy so can’t have scholars. Like Pedro most of their youth team also play for Yeovil college.
I first saw his birthdate reported as 2004. Wikepedia says 2005.

Bridgy 81

I had a look online earlier to see what I could find.
I came across someone called Rui Borges who played for Boavista and is now in his early 40s so I thought that he might be Pedro’s Dad, but your video obviously shows otherwise, is a good find and a very interesting story.

STURTZ

The bit about his dad getting emotional about Pedro being offered terms at ECFC was beautiful.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster

It's almost certainly a co-incidence that Pedro and Aamir joined City shortly after Cheick broke into the first team but I still think he's probably the most relevant role-model here. His story shows that the Academy can support players who join later than usual and still give them a route to the first team.

sign of the chimes

He seems like a lad with enthusiasm and with his head screwed on the right way. I hope he carries on in the same manner and that you've another talent on your hands.

STURTZ

It's almost certainly a co-incidence that Pedro and Aamir joined City shortly after Cheick broke into the first team but I still think he's probably the most relevant role-model here. His story shows that the Academy can support players who join later than usual and still give them a route to the first team.
Not sure Cheick was the first. Mackie and Wheeler were two that started in youth teams elsewhere but found their feet at City (for a start!)