• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Politics Thread USA Edition

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
I don't think throwing in an unpredictable element (i.e Trump) would be wise in circumstances where there is a small but not so small as to be completely disregarded possibility of nuclear conflict. The current approach of steadily improving Ukraine's military so as to further degrade Russia's military and liberate lost territory seems to me entirely the right approach to maintain.
Having entirely predictable elements in the mix hasn't worked out very well the past years has it.

Alistair20000

I don't think throwing in an unpredictable element (i.e Trump) would be wise in circumstances where there is a small but not so small as to be completely disregarded possibility of nuclear conflict. The current approach of steadily improving Ukraine's military so as to further degrade Russia's military and liberate lost territory seems to me entirely the right approach to maintain.
I concur but time may not be on Ukraine’s side

DB9

I concur but time may not be on Ukraine’s side
Think you're right Al, Couple things Russia can do, One, just keep throwing cannon fodder to the frontline until Ukraine run out of men themselves or two, Russia keeps this attrition up until the next US election, Hoping for a Republican win and the money/arms supply are cut off. Ukraine need to have a real breakthrough this spring/summer.

Mr Jinx

Think you're right Al, Couple things Russia can do, One, just keep throwing cannon fodder to the frontline until Ukraine run out of men themselves or two, Russia keeps this attrition up until the next US election, Hoping for a Republican win and the money/arms supply are cut off. Ukraine need to have a real breakthrough this spring/summer.

but, but, but...if supplying Ukraine with aid and weapons was that popular with the US populace, whereas throwing Ukraine to the wolves was that unpopular...the Dems would surely win the next election there at a canter, would they not?

DB9

but, but, but...if supplying Ukraine with aid and weapons was that popular with the US populace, whereas throwing Ukraine to the wolves was that unpopular...the Dems would surely win the next election there at a canter, would they not?
I think recent polling is on Biden's side regarding Ukraine (At the moment) but that alone wouldn't save him and the Americans don't vote for a party like we do at an election, They vote for the person.

fred binneys head

Is it a one-issue election then?

Phil Sayers

Even if the majority of the Republican members of Congress would wish to start to restrict aid there will still be sufficient who don't that there would be a de-facto coalition capable of carrying any vote in Congress.

Grecian2K

The stance of the right-wing of the Republican party generally, and Trump in particular, couldn't possibly be influenced by the fact that they are still deep in hock to Putin for the 2016 election win, could it? :rolleyes:

Reactions: DB9

Mr Jinx

The stance of the right-wing of the Republican party generally, and Trump in particular, couldn't possibly be influenced by the fact that they are still deep in hock to Putin for the 2016 election win, could it? :rolleyes:
Ah, and who said it was mainly the Right that loved a good conspiracy story? ;) lolz

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Ha, love that the Russia Hoax is still being perpetuated!

Anyway re: Trump and Ukraine, of course had Trump won in 2020 then it's more than likely Putin wouldn't have invaded.