• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Josh Key...

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
The step up to league 1 has highlighted the abilities and deficiencies of our academy boys, some have made the transition, some haven't that much is clear.
For me Collins has proved to be effective at this level as has Kite, Hartridge and, when fit, Diabate. That, for me, would make Key, Sparkes and Jay as players most likely to thrive at league 2 level. Josh's control is just so poor.
Really harsh on Key IMO. He infuriates at times when no final product arrives but isn't that because he's always making himself available?

I also think it's too early to say Diabate has successfully made the step up.

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
It seems to me that clubs higher up the tree are more likely to pay big money when they're taking a bit of a punt that someone who's only played a handful of games might progress to a very high level - this, I'd suggest, was what happened when Sunderland offered a seven-figure fee for Josh. Pretty sure they wouldn't be offering anywhere near as much now.
Jeez Egg, Sunderland NEVER offered a seven figure fee for Josh. They commented that they had made an offer worth a million, a big difference ! That total would have only been reached if all "add on" conditions were met. We may well have taken an offer in that region but our starting point was higher. I am afraid that you are bigging up a potential transfer fee in the manner of the back pages of the tabloids on this occasion.
Anyway history tells us we turned it down, and won promotion ! UTC

Cowshed Grecian

The step up to league 1 has highlighted the abilities and deficiencies of our academy boys, some have made the transition, some haven't that much is clear.
For me Collins has proved to be effective at this level as has Kite, Hartridge and, when fit, Diabate. That, for me, would make Key, Sparkes and Jay as players most likely to thrive at league 2 level. Josh's control is just so poor.
Not sure about Diabate I don’t think he has been very good at all this season and if anyone has looked out of their depth for me it would be him. Josh can certainly cut it at this level. We all seem to have a notion that anyone decent who comes through our academy is going to be snapped up ££££ it’s not a deficiency these young lads are very good L1 level players ie Collins,Kite,Key and Hartridge.
Listening to Will Aimsons interview he mentions that there isn’t that bigger difference between us and Bolton in his interview.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Archie has played a lot more games and been captain hence my higher valuation. Different players and I would have thought a cenner midfielder would be viwed higher than a wingback but it's all a matter of opinions :)
Archie has been at the club a lot longer which, I believe, also factors into any tribunal fee. However, on the flip side, I also seem to remember the fee takes into account interest from other clubs so the fact that we know clubs have been sniffing around Josh will push his fee up.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Strange then that our improved recent performances have all come with Josh back in his usual position.

STURTZ

Strange then that our improved recent performances have all come with Josh back in his usual position.
Probably because he's not playing anywhere else.😄

Colesman Ballz

Probably because he's not playing anywhere else.😄
It's down to the manager to play him where he can be most effective ! You would be among the first to moan if GC started playing Nombe in goal ! :p

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Jeez Egg, Sunderland NEVER offered a seven figure fee for Josh. They commented that they had made an offer worth a million, a big difference ! That total would have only been reached if all "add on" conditions were met. We may well have taken an offer in that region but our starting point was higher. I am afraid that you are bigging up a potential transfer fee in the manner of the back pages of the tabloids on this occasion.
Anyway history tells us we turned it down, and won promotion ! UTC
A selling club like ours would never have turned down an offer of £1M for Josh. As you say the initial fee offered would almost certainly have been low and the club must have considered the add ons stacked in the buying club's favour. The deal clearl;y wasn't similar to that of Joel randell otherwise he wouldn't still be here

simcity

A selling club like ours would never have turned down an offer of £1M for Josh. As you say the initial fee offered would almost certainly have been low and the club must have considered the add ons stacked in the buying club's favour. The deal clearl;y wasn't similar to that of Joel randell otherwise he wouldn't still be here
According to a former player we turned down a deal of approx £1.6m from Blackburn for Key in January 22...

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
According to a former player we turned down a deal of approx £1.6m from Blackburn for Key in January 22...
Never in a million years. Yet another one of those titbits that have somehow become seen as a fact. Blackburn as well hardly a big club!