• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City FC Vs Derby County FC - Matchday Thread

C j phill

Loads of interesting points on here about last night's game. Scott taking inswinging corners -only left footed player of ours on the pitch capable of doing this, as Alex is far more effective in the air than him. Some of us with very long memories remember many previous players, who subsequently became club legends, where the 'fans' got on their back: Crawford, Hatch, Rowbotham, Blain, Woody and no doubt countless others. So give Scott a break until after he has had a full pre season and hopefully gets fit, loses some weight and learns how to jump for the ball(6'2"). Regarding Sonny Cox, to have your first start against that experienced defence was certainly a baptism of fire. He's no Seymour and has actually scored in L1. And how many seasons and games did it take MJ to establish himself?
With the team we had out last night we did well; I was expecting a decisive defeat.
Now, it's all about GC's summer signings, which looks a very difficult job, but if we can keep McDonald and recruit players of the calibre of Mitchell then there's reason to be optimistic.
I'm not sure that McDonald is the answer. Since joining in January, I suspect that he's missed more games through injury, than played (although I might be wrong and that's simply my impression). At his age, I am concerned that his ability to overcome niggly injuries will be more difficult than that of a younger player. He clearly is very good player at league 1 level, when fit, but I'm not sure that it's a risk worth taking for next season, when our playing budget will again be one of the lowest in the league. If his fitness was guaranteed, it wouldn't be an issue and I'd sign him as soon as possible but there is a big question mark for me about the number of games we might get out of him.

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
From the SASS last night it just looked like a very well executed free kick.

I am not convinced Jamal could have reached it looking at the highlights but he was much closer to it than we thought from where we sit; so maybe he did think it was going wide and decided not to risk conceding a corner.
Evidence inconclusive IMO.
From the Selco
It was a good free kick. However all those around me could see the massive target that McGoldrick could go for, and he did.

magiccity1

From the Selco
It was a good free kick. However all those around me could see the massive target that McGoldrick could go for, and he did.
Totally agree. I was also in the Selco and said to the guy next to me at the time that 3 men in the wall was not enough. It was obvious that McGoldrick was going to have a go from there. Caldwell was saying earlier in the week that we have to be less naïve in games and this just proves the point

Totally agree. I was also in the Selco and said to the guy next to me at the time that 3 men in the wall was not enough. It was obvious that McGoldrick was going to have a go from there. Caldwell was saying earlier in the week that we have to be less naïve in games and this just proves the point
I think Jamal has been OK this season. In some games (eg Bristol Rovers away) he's kept us in it, in others (eg last night) I think he could have done more.

Last night I don't know if he should have saved the freekick, but it is his responsibility to decide how many men are in the wall and their position. The end result suggests that something went wrong on that front.

Also, for the 2nd goal Jamal, under little pressure, kicks his clearance straight down the middle to their dominant centre backs, The clearance should have gone further and down the channels, instead it came back too quickly.

Overall, I think his kicking is one of his biggest weaknesses, esp on his left foot. In a team where the small margins are vital to us being able to compete, it's avoidable details like this that make such a difference (and drive manager and fans nuts).

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Really disappointed with the people who booed Scott when he was leaving the pitch. He's struggling with form and fitness and had to play against a tough defence as there's barely a fit striker at the club. He played poorly but to boo him off was pathetic. I thought we were better than that.
What do you expect from clowns who start singing "your county is red" at Derby County fans (from Derby, the county town of Derbyshire) with reference to Nottingham Forest (from Nottingham, the county town of Nottinghamshire)?🤔 I'm not going to try and defend Scott though, he had a poor game last night. I thought Mr C would have been better playing him centrally so we had a focal point for our attack.

Memphis09

Men against boys . I'm afraid Cox looks like another Ben Seymour, nowhere near good enough at this level
Think he will be better than Seymour
Needs to bulk up
Was against a very good defender in Curtis Daivis
Remember Seymour was crap in league 2 we are in league one

Memphis09

He’s better than Caprice I know that much…👍
He sure is

Memphis09

Few things, I know we had injuries but can we please stop with the rolling it to Aimson all the midfielders run towards him then he smashes the ball 60 yards at 5ft8 Sonny Cox who unsurprisingly gets bullied by Curtis Davies who's probably racked up 500 appearances. Not only is it not fair on Cox, we lose possession and the midfield are spread all over the place and we have no shape.

Play the players in the right darned position. Funnily enough we scored when Key got to the byline and crossed the ball not from him threading an eye of a needle pass as a number 10. If you want to play that formation, play White, you signed him so use him.

I've seen some dogshit performances before but James Scott is really outdoing himself in trying to make an impression as a new signing. Just a bit of effort wouldn't go amiss. Terrible touch, no strength, no work rate. Having a go at Cox when his partner is doing the square root of **** all to help him is taking the ****. Get your considerable arse in the way, stop dropping deep into midfield and darned do something. Oh and **** off from taking corners as well.
Great points

C j phill

Watching the highlights, Collins was trying to run to McGoldrick, before he got his shot away, but was blocked by a Derby player and McGoldrick hit his shot into the available space. Colliins should have physically pushed the Derby player and himself towards McGoldrick, so that thr shot was blocked. Of course, this would have meant either a retaken free kick and a booking, but it might have avoided conceding.

Memphis09

Cox in his 2nd start aged 18 vs Seymour with 3 seasons aged 22?
How many goals did Seymour score