• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City FC Vs Derby County FC - Matchday Thread

Positive spin

Quite a number of Derby fans on their forum critical of Wildsmith’s embarrassing time wasting and cringeworthy play acting.

Ref was not strong enough with the time wasting. Should also have booked Houlihane in the first half when he kept stealing ground with the free kick and was gobbling off. After the final warning as the ref trotted away the fecker moved it forward again. :mad:
Just as well the wind didn’t get any stronger or Wildsmith would have been blown over.
Thought the ref had a decent game and certainly wasn’t taken in by Wildsmiths collapsing in a crumpled heap.
There is one post on the Derby fans website that suggests that it’s not the first time that their players have “milked” the double injury scenario.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
It’s taken a while but Kegs has recently turned in some good performances.
With Southampton seemingly doomed to be relegated they will no doubt be rebuilding next season and they will probably want him in their Championship team
He's done alright but he's not a first choice starter in our mid table L1 team and based on his performances I doubt Saints are desperate to get him in to a Championship side

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Just as well the wind didn’t get any stronger or Wildsmith would have been blown over.
Thought the ref had a decent game and certainly wasn’t taken in by Wildsmiths collapsing in a crumpled heap.
There is one post on the Derby fans website that suggests that it’s not the first time that their players have “milked” the double injury scenario.
Didn't they get undone by their antics on Saturday when they conceded a very late equaliser that wouldn't have happened had they behaved themselves?

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
It’s taken a while but Kegs has recently turned in some good performances.
With Southampton seemingly doomed to be relegated they will no doubt be rebuilding next season and they will probably want him in their Championship team
I'll put any money on Kegs getting absolutely nowhere near their side next season! I don't think I'd have him back with us let alone at a side who will be trying to win the league in the division above.

Loads of interesting points on here about last night's game. Scott taking inswinging corners -only left footed player of ours on the pitch capable of doing this, as Alex is far more effective in the air than him. Some of us with very long memories remember many previous players, who subsequently became club legends, where the 'fans' got on their back: Crawford, Hatch, Rowbotham, Blain, Woody and no doubt countless others. So give Scott a break until after he has had a full pre season and hopefully gets fit, loses some weight and learns how to jump for the ball(6'2"). Regarding Sonny Cox, to have your first start against that experienced defence was certainly a baptism of fire. He's no Seymour and has actually scored in L1. And how many seasons and games did it take MJ to establish himself?
With the team we had out last night we did well; I was expecting a decisive defeat.
Now, it's all about GC's summer signings, which looks a very difficult job, but if we can keep McDonald and recruit players of the calibre of Mitchell then there's reason to be optimistic.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I didn't see this posted, Attendance: 7028 (1103 Away).

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Loads of interesting points on here about last night's game. Scott taking inswinging corners -only left footed player of ours on the pitch capable of doing this, as Alex is far more effective in the air than him. Some of us with very long memories remember many previous players, who subsequently became club legends, where the 'fans' got on their back: Crawford, Hatch, Rowbotham, Blain, Woody and no doubt countless others. So give Scott a break until after he has had a full pre season and hopefully gets fit, loses some weight and learns how to jump for the ball(6'2"). Regarding Sonny Cox, to have your first start against that experienced defence was certainly a baptism of fire. He's no Seymour and has actually scored in L1. And how many seasons and games did it take MJ to establish himself?
With the team we had out last night we did well; I was expecting a decisive defeat.
Now, it's all about GC's summer signings, which looks a very difficult job, but if we can keep McDonald and recruit players of the calibre of Mitchell then there's reason to be optimistic.
Must admit the lack of a left footed inswinger on the pitch passed me by.

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Another depressing match. I thought the first half was one of the worst I’ve seen in a while, from both sides. Very little quality from us going forward, we had a solid defence but predictable and poor up top. Cox toiled for the whole game, but Scott really struggled, at the moment I can’t see why we’ve signed him but hopefully he’ll come good with a full preseason.

Second half Derby had a collective rocket up their arses and they improved, scoring a great free kick and then a decent second goal as we tired. That second goal seemed to spur us on though, probably in a “fck it, we may as well go for it” mindset, and we had a lot of possession in the last 15 minutes, and a little bit of threat.

Overall though, poor fare from us and God help Derby if they get into the play offs or (surely it can’t happen?) go up. They were terrible in the first half.

And I’d love to meet the Derby keeper in a dark alley with a cosh. What a first rate cheating w**ker he is. The referee should have booked him when he went down after the timid ‘collision’ with Jack. Absolute embarrassment of a man.

Can’t see anything other than heavy defeats at Sheffield and Ipswich, a decent win against an already-relegated Morecambe and then a summer of hard work from GC and the team replacing several key players who will leave.

And I’m aware I have a problem. Only 4 hours or so after getting home, I’m back on here. Anyone know a good therapist?
Think you need a bit of a lie down old boy.
As I said on another thread, we seem to just be able to compete against the "big" teams, just don't score enough, although we do create enough chances.
We haven't been spanked by any of these teams. Go and put your optimistic hat back on.

iscalad

Nobody else seems to have mention this: Why on earth did our keeper pull his arms away from the ball in flight for their first goal? He appeared to look back as if he thought the ball was going wide! With his reach, he would have easily got to that had he tried.
Or, as I said earlier, put such a poor wall in front of him?

Alistair20000

Or, as I said earlier, put such a poor wall in front of him?
From the SASS last night it just looked like a very well executed free kick.

I am not convinced Jamal could have reached it looking at the highlights but he was much closer to it than we thought from where we sit; so maybe he did think it was going wide and decided not to risk conceding a corner.
Evidence inconclusive IMO.