• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 229 59.9%
  • Out

Votes: 153 40.1%

• Total voters

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
You were warned!
Regardless of the warning its not like we could do anything about it. You were warned as well.

A gathering after the AGM perhaps ?
Think you've nailed it there, Al.

Shirley, on the assumption those that want to see GC gone ASAP end up being disappointed after the AGM, this get together would be quite a good venue to collect the necessary signatures required to force a Special General Meeting. Perhaps a bit of forward planning, even drafting the agenda, date of SGM, booking a venue could bring a quick resolution to this. I am not sure of the constitution wrt dates, I assume a minimum of 7 days notice is needed ahead of the SGM, this could easily be organised for the next home game. So if it is too late to kick arse at the AGM, only 14 days will have been lost.

Doing nothing apart from collectively throwing our hands in the air and scream "It's so unfair" needn't be the answer, though it does fill pages of invective on here.

If the will of the wider Trust membership is to see the back of GC, the SGM will allow the Club Owners to have their say. Perhaps the poll on here does not reflect the opinions of the Trust as a whole, but the show of hands at the SGM will reflect democracy all within the powers of the constitution.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Think you've nailed it there, Al.

Shirley, on the assumption those that want to see GC gone ASAP end up being disappointed after the AGM, this get together would be quite a good venue to collect the necessary signatures required to force a Special General Meeting. Perhaps a bit of forward planning, even drafting the agenda, date of SGM, booking a venue could bring a quick resolution to this. I am not sure of the constitution wrt dates, I assume a minimum of 7 days notice is needed ahead of the SGM, this could easily be organised for the next home game. So if it is too late to kick arse at the AGM, only 14 days will have been lost.

Doing nothing apart from collectively throwing our hands in the air and scream "It's so unfair" needn't be the answer, though it does fill pages of invective on here.

If the will of the wider Trust membership is to see the back of GC, the SGM will allow the Club Owners to have their say. Perhaps the poll on here does not reflect the opinions of the Trust as a whole, but the show of hands at the SGM will reflect democracy all within the powers of the constitution.
I cannot attend the AGM next week but I am happy to add my signature should one be commenced. Set up an online way of doing it also so we can flood social media with it

Reactions: Ash

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
My guess is that the wider Trust membership won’t support this and it will end up being a damp squib, followed by more blood-letting on here. That’s if it even gets organised anyway, which I doubt. There’s one or two people on here who will actually take action rather than just moan (and Gary Nelson is one of them), but that won’t be enough.

Grecian Max

To be frank, this is what the club board have been positioned (and trusted) to do - to make football based decisions.

Chat around a SGM because they’re letting a shit manager keep his place is a bit mental - these discussions around it seem to then open the door to shift the blame elsewhere? “Well, not enough votes were made to force the issue, the boards hands were tied/ they didn’t get enough communication from the fans to end GC’s tenure” etc etc

What a very odd fanbase we have.

They shouldn’t need their hand forced, they should make the most obvious decision in the world and get rid.

andrew p long

Here's an attempt at optimism. Rankine back this week. City's record with/without Rankine starting this season

With - W5 D1 L1 - points per game 2.3
Without - W2 D2 L12 -points per game 0.5

(courtesy of Soccerbase's excellent 'player filter' function)

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster

They shouldn’t need their hand forced, they should make the most obvious decision in the world and get rid.
Agree, they should. But the only "odd" thing about the fanbase that you're describing there is that this is an avenue it's possible to go down. If we were unhappy with the decision anywhere else, the chat would be about throwing tennis balls on the pitch or whatever

Grecian Max

Agree, they should. But the only "odd" thing about the fanbase that you're describing there is that this is an avenue it's possible to go down. If we were unhappy with the decision anywhere else, the chat would be about throwing tennis balls on the pitch or whatever
No one is throwing tennis balls onto the pitch to remove a manager losing a lot - those things only happen for much bigger issues - and this is the thing, it's a straightforward decision for the board to make.

It doesn't require a SGM, it needs the board to step up to the plate and prove they can make difficult decisions - if they fail on these counts, only then does a SGM make any sense (and get any sort of momentum)

The "odd" comment is around the positioning that this is somehow the fans fault a few months down the road when we're in even more trouble. This sort of argument obscures the issue, which is the board needs to act as they have been positioned to do so.

They don't need to divide and rule as there will always be people happy to watch crap because "at least we have a club". Always.

i8cornwall

To be frank, this is what the club board have been positioned (and trusted) to do - to make football based decisions.

Chat around a SGM because they’re letting a shit manager keep his place is a bit mental - these discussions around it seem to then open the door to shift the blame elsewhere? “Well, not enough votes were made to force the issue, the boards hands were tied/ they didn’t get enough communication from the fans to end GC’s tenure” etc etc

They needed the fans to tell them B teams in the Papa John was a bad idea!

I don't think we should set the bar very high on what they can and can't work out for themselves.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster

Nail on head.

Something isn't working here if we have to go through reams of bureaucracy to get to a sensible business decision.