• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Shrewsbury Matchday Thread 28th Nov 2023. k.o. 7:45 and 9:45.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
But then - I would not expect your biased view to agree
Sorry to point it out, but your view is 'biased' too. As is mine. As are all of our views. Subjective, innit.

TotnesGrecian

My assumption is that they are booing because we have scored 3 goals in 4,024 league games (tonight included) and they want a change in manager. They contribute to the club coffers every month for the club 'they own' but their (majority) view has been dismissed as 'wrong' by the board. They want to air their frustration and maybe have their voice heard by a board that so far has shown no indication of listening

You stated our defensive performance at the weekend was good - we shipped 7 goals to Bolton - yet say these lads on the Big Bank have no justification for booing this current abysmal run?

Only someone truly blinkered could fail to recognise their own pomposity.
Cracking post 👏

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Although it was only 1 point, I suspect that too many people have become so entrenched in their depression over the past number of games and the desire to see Caldwell out above everything else (and I have a certain amount of sympathy for that), that the effort that was put into that game by the players has passed them by. Yes, there were no goals and we desperately need a recognised striker or two, but sometimes you have to recognise that the team were far better in their application and commitment and give credit for that.

If they can keep that up I'm convinced that they will turn the corner.
However "convincing" a point is after the last couple of debacles not winning your home games against sides who don't play well is relegation form.
The only green shoot I see is that IF we keep Cole / Niskanen fit and IF we sign a proper proven striker in Jan we MIGHT have a chance - Nombe would have scored at least 2 tonight with the crosses I saw.
There is, of course, another IF - can we trust the Trust / Club to find a proper proven striker IF they keep trying to defend the indefensible ?
UTC but I fear a "convincing" 5 points in our last games til Jan 1st means it will be Down The City this season

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
To me I think the one thing that tonight proved is that he hasn’t lost the dressing room; The boys worked their ballsocks off.

Everyone’s appetite for change is different and the recent results probably deserve a good old fashioned firing… but it isn’t the clubs usual method, and I for one would be interested if, with a more successful transfer window (a decent striker or three), we could replicate some of the sensational form that we started the season with.

a little hope.
Agree💯

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Can someone tell me why we’re playing a short free kick with what 2 minutes to go? when we need the win and haven’t scored a goal in 3 months ?

jeez

budegrecian

That performance was in my opinion a 6/10 (and that's generous) compared to the 3/10s served up in recent months.

Niskanen & Wildschut stand out performances

Honourable mentions
Rankine
Sweeney
Trevitt

Aimson always looks like he can't be bothered
Cole?

manc grecian

We tried but that's the least you expect.

Niskanen gives us a lot more solidity and quality.
Wildschut is direct but never looks like scoring and I wish for once he would attack the back post instead of waiting 20 yards behind everyone.

Cole too many Hollywood balls when they're not on but good quality when they are.

Diabate there's nothing in his game that suggests he has any attributes of a centre forward and the manager is doing the player no favours sticking him up there.

Aitchison is definitely Jimmy Keohane...lots of effort but no goal threat and no creativity.

Shrewsbury looked as bad as us if not worse and we couldn't score past them.

TotnesGrecian

Yeah, chuck him an Honourable mention aswell

TotnesGrecian

I wish wildschut would have a bash from far out, looks like he's got a decent shot on him

arthur

That performance was in my opinion a 6/10 (and that's generous) compared to the 3/10s served up in recent months.

Niskanen & Wildschut stand out performances

Honourable mentions
Rankine
Sweeney
Trevitt

Aimson always looks like be can't be bothered
Aimson always looks like a miserable fecker but some of his long crossfield passes were very good.

Rankine was disappointing, considering he's from Chelsea

Booing the result is one thing, calling for the manager's head is another, but booing the players, who all put a good shift in, when they came over to the big bank was uncalled for.