• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 229 59.9%
  • Out

Votes: 153 40.1%

• Total voters

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
One extra vote for GC

God only knows why

C j phill

I dont think the question marks around the manager's future rest on this season. The Club Boarc has made its decision and he will stay in post for the remainder of the season.

Next season is the critical one for GC. If we're in League 1 and we have a run of results which leave us near the relegation zone, I'd hope that the Club Board learns from this season and takes appropriate action. Similarly, if we're in League 2 and we're not in the play-off zone from the start, the Club Board utilises its learning curve and takes appropriate action.

The underlying issue is that the Club Board members should have performance targets set for them by the Trust Board and the Club employees should have performance targets set for them by the Club Board, where underachievement is followed by corrective management action.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
I dont think the question marks around the manager's future rest on this season. The Club Boarc has made its decision and he will stay in post for the remainder of the season.

Next season is the critical one for GC. If we're in League 1 and we have a run of results which leave us near the relegation zone, I'd hope that the Club Board learns from this season and takes appropriate action. Similarly, if we're in League 2 and we're not in the play-off zone from the start, the Club Board utilises its learning curve and takes appropriate action.

The underlying issue is that the Club Board members should have performance targets set for them by the Trust Board and the Club employees should have performance targets set for them by the Club Board, where underachievement is followed by corrective management action.
Sorry but if we go down we won't be bouncing up straight away, not many sides do and league 2 is getting more and more wealthy all the time. If we find ourselves in league 2 I think that'll be us for a few years at least.

tavyred

Sorry but if we go down we won't be bouncing up straight away, not many sides do and league 2 is getting more and more wealthy all the time. If we find ourselves in league 2 I think that'll be us for a few years at least.
Our ownership model and the constraints of our stadium means financial stagnation is built in. When we go down, the battle will be to save us from a further demotion unfortunately.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Our ownership model and the constraints of our stadium means financial stagnation is built in.
What about when we went up?

DB9

Our ownership model and the constraints of our stadium means financial stagnation is built in. When we go down, the battle will be to save us from a further demotion unfortunately.
It took us 10 years last time to get out of L2, Then we had a real go get attitude, Had a dodgy time when we had to go cap in hand to the PFA but most importantly we had a run of gems come through the Academy that made us able to invest in the infrastructure of the club, C&F, Pitch, Stadium etc. I think the board got very complacent about how great the Trust is and put what could happen when that revenue stream starts to run dry on the back burner, Now we're there and possibly facing going back down to L2, A L2 that will be stronger, Are those in charge up to the job? We're now stuck with GC until the end of the season but even though i think he should of gone ages ago, Our problems could end up more than just him being in the managers seat.

Please Note: Although our results have been awful we can still avoid the drop, there is time and games but they are running out.

tavyred

What about when we went up?
If you’re stagnating financially in football you’re going backwards. Our last promotion was largely off the back of unpredictable and windfall transfer income.
We got lucky.

Henry's Reds

If you’re stagnating financially in footb inall you’re going backwards. Our last promotion was largely off the back of unpredictable and windfall transfer income.
We got lucky.
I think we gained promotion by being a competitive team and having a competitive season turning losses into draws draws to wins etc. Since being in league 1 we seem to be wasting our opportunity, our crowds have doubled i with increased season ticket sales etc. We are now set up to play in GC's chosen style of play but it just isn't getting us the results we need and ain't great to sit through, I hope that our Exeweb experts are correct in the belief that a new striker will set things right.
Generally I think once the trust elections are sorted, we need them to get a grip on things but I fear from seeing the incumbents in the hustings and through some recent correspondence I've had with them......we may be fooked!

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
We had a team that would go above and beyond to go for every ball not just wait and see if the ball happens to come their way.

A strong team who played as a team not individual players who still don't look like they have gelled.

Colesman Ballz

This is the crux of the problem. How do you get proper oversight and accountability of the Club Board by the Trust Board when you have the likes of Hawker and Harrison sitting on both bodies ? It results in the TB not ruthlessly taking the CB to task when necessary. Throw into the mix other CB members with zero experience of operating in a highly organised competitive football environment and you end up with the ineffectual predicament that we find ourselves in.