• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Music Thread

Radio Free Skaro

Incredibly in all the years of Exeweb there has never been a music thread! So I'd thought I should start one!

What are your favourite Britpop songs and artists?

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
What's Britpop?

Rosencrantz

Incredibly in all the years of Exeweb there has never been a music thread! So I'd thought I should start one!

What are your favourite Britpop songs and artists?
Depends what you drag into the Britpop label as two of my favourite bands, The Manics and Suede hate to be bundled into that label even though Suede are credited for kicking off the whole Britpop era. I was the right age to be into that era though and along with the obvious bands really loved The Lightning Seeds, Dodgy, Ash, Elastica, Sleeper. It was actually a decent time for women led bands when you think about it with Echobelly, Republica and others.

For reasons that it was a great summer and generally a good time in my life, the song that always makes me feel good is Good Enough by Dodgy. It seemed to be on the radio as I was working that summer as much as Three Lions was.

There have been plenty of music threads in the past

Rosencrantz

There have been plenty of music threads in the past
There is the "What Song Are You Listening to Right Now" but that isn't obviously a general music chat thread. I guess there are some other music threads but they have been far from active recently, I can't remember seeing one. So anyway back on topic Red, which Britpop act do you prefer, Chopin or Rachmaninoff?

Radio Free Skaro

There is the "What Song Are You Listening to Right Now" QUOTE="Rosencrantz, post: 2278730, member: 14838"]
There is the "What Song Are You Listening to Right Now" but that isn't obviously a general music chat thread. I guess there are some other music threads but they have been far from active recently, I can't remember seeing one. So anyway back on topic Red, which Britpop act do you prefer, Chopin or Rachmaninoff?
Although maybe Vaughan Williams and Edward Elgar would be more apt?

Radio Free Skaro

Any suggestions for deep cuts? Echobelly? Gene? Sleeper?

Last edited:

iscalad

Although maybe Vaughan Williams and Edward Elgar would be more apt?
Ah, the Lark Ascending.

Radio Free Skaro

Depends what you drag into the Britpop label as two of my favourite bands, The Manics and Suede hate to be bundled into that label even though Suede are credited for kicking off the whole Britpop era. I was the right age to be into that era though and along with the obvious bands really loved The Lightning Seeds, Dodgy, Ash, Elastica, Sleeper. It was actually a decent time for women led bands when you think about it with Echobelly, Republica and others.

For reasons that it was a great summer and generally a good time in my life, the song that always makes me feel good is Good Enough by Dodgy. It seemed to be on the radio as I was working that summer as much as Three Lions was.
Ah, the Lark Ascending.
First ever Britpop song scrap that , actually think Henry Purcell got there first

Radio Free Skaro

Although Suede got there first, there is a good case to be made for Modern Life is Rubbish! When do you reckon Britpop officially ended?