• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Music Thread

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Although Suede got there first, there is a good case to be made for Modern Life is Rubbish! When do you reckon Britpop officially ended?
Damon certainly took a bit of inspiration from Suede, as well as taking Justine Frischmann as well. Philosophically Britpop, like any musical fashion doesn't end, it just goes out of fashion and bumbles along before coming back into fashion again. Britpop probably started in the 60's anyway with The Beatles, The Stones, The Kinks etc...and came back in the 80's with Duran Duran, Culture Club, Wham, Depeche Mode and others. Probably the only difference between those eras and the 90's was cracking the US.

It's really a continuing story of great, good and average Brit bands who continue to come along but (mostly) drift in and out of fashion and popularity. When a style becomes popular and sells, you always get others joining in and often diluting or overpopulating the area and it all fizzles out. In between those times there are many great British bands who don't necessarily get tagged into a movement (and some that do such as Punk, Ska or Madchester for example) as such but are in the same tradition. Just really great British bands be they ELO, The Clash, The Specials, Madness, Joy Division or New Order, The Smiths...

Last edited:

Stelios

Although Suede got there first, there is a good case to be made for Modern Life is Rubbish! When do you reckon Britpop officially ended?
Like any genre the great bands tend to run out of ideas or change their sound/style and the new ones signed on the back of their popularity just aren't as good

Anyway ;)

Swanaldo

Any suggestions for deep cuts? Echobelly? Gene? Sleeper?
Mansun were the best of the 'Britpop' bunch for me.

Oasis ran out of ideas after the first record, Pulp were one trick ponies and Blur were just *****.

Better stuff coming out of America at the time with the likes of Soundgarden, Faith No More, Throwing Muses etc

Radio Free Skaro

Like any genre the great bands tend to run out of ideas or change their sound/style and the new ones signed on the back of their popularity just aren't as good

Anyway ;)
Yes I think you're right, the holy trinity of Britpop ,Blur, Oasis and Pulp, all released inferior albums, in the form of Blur, Be Here Now , and This Is Hardcore compared to their pomp.

Radio Free Skaro

Mansun were the best of the 'Britpop' bunch for me.

Oasis ran out of ideas after the first record, Pulp were one trick ponies and Blur were just *****.

Better stuff coming out of America at the time with the likes of Soundgarden, Faith No More, Throwing Muses etc
Interesting if you had to pick one Mansun song, which would it be and why?

fred binneys head

Pulp one trick ponies? Don’t think so, His n Hers is their best album but Different Class and This is Hardcore are excellent. Loved oasis’s first album, second one not bad, rest awful. Suede consistently fantastic. Blur OK. Charlatans consistently superb.

And Depeche Mode did crack America.

angelic upstart

Loved indie music at the time and was the perfect age for it too. My most listened to would've been supergrass, ash, cast, ocean colour scene, the verve, James, manics, blur and oasis. Although most of them wouldn't wanna be called britpop.

For various reasons, blur and oasis get pelters these days but oasis' first two albums and blur parklife albums remain decent in my view.

P.S. Swanny is correct Mansun were quality too. Loved that video of them dropping money on unsuspecting passers by at Liverpool Street station.

Last edited:

Swanaldo

Interesting if you had to pick one Mansun song, which would it be and why?
Off the top of my head probably "Special/Blown It".

I always found it a bit strange that everyone was peeing their pants over Blur vs Oasis when there was so much other great stuff going on.

Swanaldo

My most listened to would've been supergrass, ash, cast, ocean colour scene, the verve, James, manics, blur and oasis.
Don't forget the Seahorses, mate. That was a banging album.

Swanaldo

Suede consistently fantastic. Blur OK.
Potentially great bands ruined by singers doing a 'silly voice'. See also Smashing Pumpkins, Megadeth, Alt-J etc etc.