• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 229 59.9%
  • Out

Votes: 153 40.1%

• Total voters

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
We’re talking sustainable LG1 football here, KMT bugged out after two months.
Ok should have written MT Would have been given more time as he took us here. GC Inherited a very decent side last season and probably did the bar minimum with the actual ability within that side (8-10 points GC Cost us last season with the style change and messing around with positions which didn't or where ever going to work).

this season until 2 games ago, we have largely been dreadful. The last 2 games we have seen our best performances of the season and GC Must now show he can build upon that with this side. If we had Fired GC after Fleetwood (Which still would have probably been a good decision / definitely the right call at the time), No one on here would miss him at all.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Interesting one for the future?

When Gary retains our League one status this season and has us pushing for promotion next (don't laugh everyone serious point coming), and the bigger clubs start sniffing around will he show us the same loyalty as we have shown him, Semper Fidelis and all that?

Also does he ever intend on moving his family down here as the past few months have proved his tenure is secure?
Weirdly I wouldn't expect him to show us the same loyalty, If that happened, he would deserve a potential opportunity higher up the table. We have shown huge loyalty to GC during this run, but ultimately we made a choice, like Tisdale made a choice to be loyal to us when his stock was really high all them years ago. Whether we made the right decision or not will be shown between now and end of April

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
No promotion on his city CV, yet considered to be one of our best. Not by you I take it?
No, however he's up there because of that cup run (and no, before anyone asks, Caldwell getting to the 4th round of the League Cup isn't anywhere near comparable).

Antony Moxey

Because in one off games, odd results happen but ove rthe course of season, unless something goes drastically wrong the league table will broadly match the budgets of the respective clubs. Its why Charlton stand out this year as do Stevenage as both are many places of where their budget says they should be

At the end of the season, look at the table and I'll bet there are less than 3/4 teams who are 2/3 places away from their budget. Ive named who two look to be already
So how have we ever achieved promotion?

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
So how have we ever achieved promotion?
Accrington didn't get promoted or stay in league one for five seasons Taps nose winky face

tavyred

Ok should have written MT Would have been given more time as he took us here. GC Inherited a very decent side last season and probably did the bar minimum with the actual ability within that side (8-10 points GC Cost us last season with the style change and messing around with positions which didn't or where ever going to work).

this season until 2 games ago, we have largely been dreadful. The last 2 games we have seen our best performances of the season and GC Must now show he can build upon that with this side. If we had Fired GC after Fleetwood (Which still would have probably been a good decision / definitely the right call at the time), No one on here would miss him at all.
Two major suppositions there of course, would KMT have done better than GC has done or would the replacement for GC had we sacked him done any better?

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
I’m a newly retired ST holder BB.
I’ve missed maybe three/four games, the last being the Cambridge game.
1) I'm a bit envious of both the retirement and your attendance record

2) Having seen so much of the team this year, I'm kind of shocked that you think management are so little to blame

Grecianman135

Accrington didn't get promoted or stay in league one for five seasons Taps nose winky face
Looking back you do have to wonder how..

I'd imagine we've even got more in the coffers than them.

Radio Free Skaro

So why didn't we have a similar run when we played them all earlier. What is it with you and budgets all the time? I'd imagine Barnsley's budget is a bit bigger than ours, and would also guess Sheffield Wednesday's was too when we played them in previous seasons. I'd also imagine there hasn't been a season ever when when we've had a bigger budget than Plymouth, yet we managed results against all of them. Perhaps we shouldn't bother ever playing games, just get the FD of each club to submit their accounts to the FL and we'll decide promotion and relegation that way instead.
It's called reality.

Radio Free Skaro

Success and failure is indeed relative - to each club's place in the pecking order relative to the others.

If none of the clubs with a bigger budget than us existed, we'd define success as being the top placed club in the League.
You what?