• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 229 59.9%
  • Out

Votes: 153 40.1%

• Total voters

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
The major difference is that we have started passing the ball forward at speed, and stopped farting around with it at the back !
"the football we want to play" was how Caldwell described Saturday's performance. Which suggests that the issue was not a lack of will, but rather one of (team) ability.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Gary is firmly in the group of new coaches who treat the training manual as a gospel. These manuals are written without the allowance for quality of players and believe that every player will be a perfect Prem standard player.
Could you recommend me one of these manuals you've read so I can have a peruse? Much obliged.

tavyred

No, however he's up there because of that cup run (and no, before anyone asks, Caldwell getting to the 4th round of the League Cup isn't anywhere near comparable).
Change your own parameters of how you judge our best managers why don’t you? 🙄
Brian Godfrey is a great to me because he gave us multiple years of third tier football and the icing on the cake was the famous cup run.

Antony Moxey

Change your own parameters of how you judge our best managers why don’t you? 🙄
Brian Godfrey is a great to me because he gave us multiple years of third tier football and the icing on the cake was the famous cup run.
I genuinely believe you don’t ever read the posts you’re replying to, you simply say what you want to say without even bothering to read whether it’s actually answering a question you’ve asked or debating a point you’ve raised. Feel free to reply again - you always seem to want the last word - but there’s little point because as ever you’re always right no matter what people reply with.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
The major difference is that we have started passing the ball forward at speed, and stopped farting around with it at the back !
thank god it only took 4 months to realise the slow build up play was affecting us winning games.

Mr Jinx

you always seem to want the last word
Blimey - if ever there was a pot that called the kettle black!

...but I'll leave you two to it...

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
To me pragmatism in football is about the search for points nothing else.
What I saw in that period was a reasonable ability to keep the ball but an almost complete inability to score a goal. The choice then is whether our chances are improved by abandoning the possession based game which does at least limit chances for the opposition to score or do what you wanted a change to the style of play. I’m guessing GC was loathed to ditch the system which at least kept games tight and preferred instead to work on our issues around scoring. A much improved Sonny Cox coming back and the well documented re-jig of the defence has seen the turnaround we now see.
If it's about the search for points, why did he persist with a method that repeatedly failed to win us points for 4 months?

tavyred

I genuinely believe you don’t ever read the posts you’re replying to, you simply say what you want to say without even bothering to read whether it’s actually answering a question you’ve asked or debating a point you’ve raised. Feel free to reply again - you always seem to want the last word - but there’s little point because as ever you’re always right no matter what people reply with.
Sorry Ant that just smacks of bluster.
We have had precious few managers who have a record of keeping us in the third tier, so it stands to reason that should GC manage to do that he has to be talked about as one of our best.

Grecian2K

"the football we want to play" was how Caldwell described Saturday's performance. Which suggests that the issue was not a lack of will, but rather one of (team) ability.
Could the other "missing ingredient" also be that other magical thing - CONFIDENCE?
(We'll see in two HOME games times time - Gas and Posh!. Bring back a pair of similar performances (if not even results) to the last two away ones will surely go a little way to getting SJP buzzing again?)

tavyred

If it's about the search for points, why did he persist with a method that repeatedly failed to win us points for 4 months?
I kind of explained that (as I see it) in the post you responded to.