• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ilmari Niskanen (Welcome)

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Agreed. I don't know if anyone else noticed this but after consoling Ilmari for his error which led to the first goal, Aimson and one or two others then seemed to ignore the Finn when there were obvious passes to be made to him.
I wouldnt have thought Ilmari needed much consoling even if he did lose the ball. The shot that ensued was the sort your average weekend amatuer keeper would have dealt with comfortably. I cant fathom how people want to aportion blame on Ilmari, since the goal that followed was a flat out goalkeeping howler.

Jam Doughnut

Niskanen and Rankine have this knack of hitting a defender when crossing, both need to do better in games really. Rankine has got just 1 goal and 1 assist all season and Niskanen has 0 goals and 1 assist...If we didn't release Jack sparkes on a free i'm sure he would have been getting in some decent crosses and getting more shots on target than these 2.

Colesman Ballz

Niskanen and Rankine have this knack of hitting a defender when crossing, both need to do better in games really. Rankine has got just 1 goal and 1 assist all season and Niskanen has 0 goals and 1 assist...If we didn't release Jack sparkes on a free i'm sure he would have been getting in some decent crosses and getting more shots on target than these 2.
I'm a Sparkes fan, but playing him on the right flank just wouldn't work anyway, it would be another "square peg in round hole" disaster ! :(

denzel

I think people are being a little harsh on Ilmari here. Yes, he gave the ball away that led to the first goal. But there was plenty of time left to stop them scoring. Jules gave the ball away later in the half but Derby didn't finish it. Cheick gave away the ball for the second...

manc grecian

He gave the ball away and then did the most half arsed pulling back of a player I've ever seen. I thought he was giving him a cuddle.

He made a mistake, take your booking and reorganise.

I wouldnt have thought Ilmari needed much consoling even if he did lose the ball. The shot that ensued was the sort your average weekend amatuer keeper would have dealt with comfortably. I cant fathom how people want to aportion blame on Ilmari, since the goal that followed was a flat out goalkeeping howler.
I can't agree with this being a goalkeeping howler. I have watched it a few times on the highlights and the ball goes higher after the bounce (just inside the 6 yard box) than before it - so I think Vil could reasonably have expected to have it covered with his dive.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
I can't agree with this being a goalkeeping howler. I have watched it a few times on the highlights and the ball goes higher after the bounce (just inside the 6 yard box) than before it - so I think Vil could reasonably have expected to have it covered with his dive.
I think a howler is harsh but from where I was stood (right behind the corner of the goal the ball went in about 10 steps up) he definitely should have saved it.

Mid Devon Grecian

I haven’t seen the replays. I was standing just to the left of the goal about half way up the big bank. Looked to me that the ball popped up, little Vil could do about that. Pete will probably say he dived too soon or something😁

fred binneys head

I haven’t seen the replays. I was standing just to the left of the goal about half way up the big bank. Looked to me that the ball popped up, little Vil could do about that. Pete will probably say he dived too soon or something😁
You were standing near me then and I totally agree, the ball took a wicked bounce which took it over Vil's outstretched arm, he had it covered and couldn't do anything about that bounce. The problem was with Ilmari who weakly gave the ball away, then didn't get back quickly enough. Our back 3 also stood off Max Bird too much, allowing him the space to shoot.

Grecian Max

Doesn't appear to have many attributes beyond "an engine"