• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The TV/Film/Radio Comedy Thread

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
LOG I reckon.
Yep. Perfect prefect casting (y)

Oldsmobile-88

There are a few good comedy shows on Radio 4.
Much of the content on Radio is far superior than the stuff churned out on TV, imo.

Loved the The News Huddlines. Listened to that many a time driving to away games on Saturday years ago. Broadcasted on a Saturday at 1230pm for 30mins iirc....*Just checked it it ran from 1971-2001.

A165E646-366F-4897-95E0-6D87E9062986.jpeg

DB9

Much of the content on Radio is far superior than the stuff churned out on TV, imo.

Loved the The News Huddlines. Listened to that many a time driving to away games on Saturday years ago. Broadcasted on a Saturday at 1230pm for 30mins iirc....*Just checked it it ran from 1971-2001.

View attachment 14889
Wasn't this a bit of light relief on R2?

Oldsmobile-88

Wasn't this a bit of light relief on R2?
Yes...It was on Radio 2.

Reactions: DB9

Oldsmobile-88

My favourite US sit-com was Taxi. A great cast, my favourite character was ‘The Reverend Jim’ played by Christopher Lloyd..Lloyd’s timing for his dialogue was superb..The pause, manic eyes, then the line.

E5BD66AF-DC3F-480B-BEE3-F01A3B77BFBD.jpeg

DB9

Yes...It was on Radio 2.
Yep thought it was, Always around the time us kids at home sitting at the kitchen table having lunch. Funny seeing that poster bringing that memory back. Roy Hudd was such an expert of the music hall days and was a good comedy actor, Plus i think he played a litter bug in one of those public information films about keeping Britain tidy. As for Radio comedy, There was a bit on R1, Think it was Paul Burnett and was called "Fun at One" The Goon Show was really good, Think i heard the repeats as i wasn't around in the 50's, Punt & Dennis was good, Not sure if they still do their stuff plus The Mary Whitehouse Experience, Started on radio then went onto TV.

Stelios

Funnily enough when Count Arthur Strong started on TV I watched a few minutes and decided ’not for me’ (having never heard the original radio show).

Fast forward a few years later and I happened to catch it on the radio one day and I thought it was hilarious. Maybe I just wasn’t in the mood originally 🤷‍♂️

Oldsmobile-88

Funnily enough when Count Arthur Strong started on TV I watched a few minutes and decided ’not for me’ (having never heard the original radio show).

Fast forward a few years later and I happened to catch it on the radio one day and I thought it was hilarious. Maybe I just wasn’t in the mood originally 🤷‍♂️
I was thinking earlier, that visual comedian shows/skits are always a harder watch/listen, but when the medium is sound only with no props it’s a different dynamic even if it’s the same individual knocking out the lines.

Spoonz Red E

I was thinking earlier, that visual comedian shows/skits are always a harder watch/listen, but when the medium is sound only with no props it’s a different dynamic even if it’s the same individual knocking out the lines.
I was watching an episode of the Count Arthur Strong show.
The plot revolved around him getting his old band together with John Shuttleworth.
They sit on the sofa flicking through old records and to my surprise one of them was of my own band. :)

Oldsmobile-88

I was watching an episode of the Count Arthur Strong show.
The plot revolved around him getting his old band together with John Shuttleworth.
They sit on the sofa flicking through old records and to my surprise one of them was of my own band. :unsure:

Love it Spoonz...Get back for a one off gig..🎶
I remember seeing Dangerous Girls back in the day upstairs in Winstons. I think it may have been a nightclub at the time ?