• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

TV Times

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
March 1981

The face of LWT World of Sport from start(1968) to finish(1985)

59280CA2-739F-4035-A0EC-6E70CD14005E.jpeg

Alistair20000

I thought World of Sport started a few years earlier presented by Eamonn Seamus Android Andrews 🤔

Oldsmobile-88

I thought World of Sport started a few years earlier presented by Eamonn Seamus Android Andrews 🤔
Yep..it was 1965. I was getting mixed up with Dickie
Davis’s time presenting.

DB9

Yep..it was 1965. I was getting mixed up with Dickie
Davis’s time presenting.
Who made the show in 1965? LWT began programmes in 1968 after a new franchise round.

Alistair20000

Who made the show in 1965? LWT began programmes in 1968 after a new franchise round.
Wiki says ABC Weekend TV.

Had a look after my exchange of posts with Olds

Reactions: DB9

DB9

Wiki says ABC Weekend TV.

Had a look after my exchange of posts with Olds
Cheers Al, I think ABC & ATV who had the franchises for London had their monopoly cut, Lewis Grade owned them, (I think) and in '68, ATV got awarded the Midlands area solely, Which they had been running and Thames and LWT got the London/North Kent area.

Oldsmobile-88

ATV covered the London area for weekends only until 1968. The week days in London & surrounding area was Rediffusion-London until the Thames TV franchise in 1968.

Rediffusion also was available in the Exeter area via cable (for TV)from the early 1960s. Some of the overhead cables are still about, especially around Newtown.
The former Rediffusion House is opposite the bus station. Iirc the self publishing crook Robert Maxwell was involved in the company at one time.

Last edited:

Oldsmobile-88

A great article on Rediffusion in Exeter.

Spoonz Red E

ATV covered the London area for weekends only until 1968. The week days in London & surrounding area was Rediffusion-London until the Thames TV franchise in 1968.

Rediffusion also was available in the Exeter area via cable from the early 1960s. Some of the overhead cables are still about, especially around Newtown.
The former Rediffusion House is opposite the bus station. Iirc the self publishing crook Robert Maxwell was involved in the company at one time.
Moving from Burnthouse Lane to the Countess Wear estate to find one of these beauties on the wall in the new house.

12 channels!
Westward TV and Harlech/HTV!

Plus the opportunity to crack the 'open channel D Mr Waverley' line from Man From Uncle...

Tim Long

Moving from Burnthouse Lane to the Countess Wear estate to find one of these beauties on the wall in the new house.

12 channels!
Westward TV and Harlech/HTV!

Plus the opportunity to crack the 'open channel D Mr Waverley' line from Man From Uncle...
Ah, the only reason I enjoyed going to my grandmother's in the late 60s/ early 70s was that she had Rediffusion and I could watch Sunday League cricket on BBC2. Couldn't get BBC2 at home at the time as the transmitter our aerial pointed at hadn't been upgraded.