• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Charlton Athletic Matchday thread.

JGrecian23

Haven't seen the highlights yet but when May was running through on goal in the last minute I was expecting him to open his body up and bend it in. Was surprised to see him go round Vil. He'll be kicking himself tonight.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Think we are safe but also pleased not to be in the position where we would have needed to beat both Cheltenham and Port Vale in the coming games to save ourselves.

What do others think.
We've been safe since the Burton match. You can relax old chum 👍

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Sitting in was probably the wrong phrase but when we're level or behind we play with a purpose to our possession but as soon we go ahead, we seem to go into a shell and play very safe. Controlling the game I understand but we never seem to capitalise on our lead when a team looks fragile or we have a good spell. Caldwell has bemoaned this all season but we're yet to see much change at home in terms of this.
I reckon that's got more to do with what I said early, certainly today's game, too busy trying to score the picture book goal. It's not that we don't get forward or put ourselves in decent positions. It's just what we do, or don't do, when the opportunities allow.

andrew p long

Haven't seen the highlights yet but when May was running through on goal in the last minute I was expecting him to open his body up and bend it in. Was surprised to see him go round Vil. He'll be kicking himself tonight.
Judging by how he tried to take that chance, he'll probably miss.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Today wasn't great but wasn't bad either. It's a long way from October November time when Scott was giving goals to the opposition for fun. Four games unbeaten against decent oppo.

Rosencrantz

I don't know if it was in or not (haven't seen it on TV yet) but the key thing might have been Purrington getting his body between the ball and the lino as much as the ball and the goal line. The lino couldn't give it if he wasn't 100% sure.

Rosencrantz

Judging by how he tried to take that chance, he'll probably miss.
I bet he would still go down though and roll about a bit.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
One thing that’s still evidently obvious is we need a proper proven no9.

Sonny is young , inexperienced and at times it bounces off him….i can’t remember him having a shot

Eisa won’t be here next season, he didn’t have a kick when he came and his body language was a bit meh….

Simba3011

I reckon that's got more to do with what I said early, certainly today's game, too busy trying to score the picture book goal. It's not that we don't get forward or put ourselves in decent positions. It's just what we do, or don't do, when the opportunities allow.
It's true that we do try and overplay but it confuses me whether that's tactical or mindset because we don't seem to do this when we're chasing and we've seen it all season when we go ahead. Our passing and safer approach when we're leading lets teams on to us to often and puts unnecessary pressure onto us.
After the first goal we didn't have a shot for an hour then had 6 in the space of 10 minutes, it's just bizarre that we can't kill a game off at home or seem to have a dominant period for more than a short spell when GC has said he wants this to be the case all season.

grecIAN Harris

I don't know if it was in or not (haven't seen it on TV yet) but the key thing might have been Purrington getting his body between the ball and the lino as much as the ball and the goal line. The lino couldn't give it if he wasn't 100% sure.
I've seen the highlights and it's not conclusive evidence either way. I don't suppose we'll get anything like a conclusive answer until the 360 comes out.