• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Retained List for 2024/25 (released)

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
He's not good enough. He's only half the player he needs to be especially under Caldwell.
Given our wage limits and other areas of the squad that need strengthening who are you expecting us to sign?

He's a solid league one centre back who doesn't let anyone down when he plays. The squad needs depth and to get depth you need reliable affordable players who are happy to play for the club.

Bridgy 81

He's not good enough. He's only half the player he needs to be especially under Caldwell.
Personally I think there’s always room in our squad for a purely defensive central defender.
GC recently brought him on against both Charlton and Cheltenham late when he recognized we had to be tight.
I know it didn’t work with the o.g. i; the first match but he couldn’t have done anything about that.
Plus I think he’s played well on occasions this season and has the potential to develop further.
Anyway I stand corrected.
Apologies for suggesting it.

Grecianpasty

I have a feeling with Watts involvement today that GC may have an eye on keeping him.

grecIAN Harris

Personally I think there’s always room in our squad for a purely defensive central defender.
GC recently brought him on against both Charlton and Cheltenham late when he recognized we had to be tight.
I know it didn’t work with the o.g. i; the first match but he couldn’t have done anything about that.
Plus I think he’s played well on occasions this season and has the potential to develop further.
Anyway I stand corrected.
Apologies for suggesting it.
As squad player when we're backs against the wall trying to cling on to a result and you need him to do what he is best at, yes. If you're looking at a player to play week in week out in the manner that Caldwell wants, nay expects, his side to play he doesn't have the technical ability on the ball. He is far from comfortable with the ball at his feet, has no idea of what his next pass is before he receives the ball and because of this is too slow in moving the ball around. As you've hopefully seen by now when we're at our most effective at breaking through the lines when we're quick and sharp on the ball. That requires players being comfortable on the ball and having an awareness of what their options are before they receive the ball so they can ping it on, everything Chieck isn't I'm afraid.
Oh, and the Charlton own goal, if he deals with the first cross instead of watching it float over him then he doesn't get the smack in the face from the header.

FanTactic

What have you been smoking? Only seen him look below par once, in the second half against Fleetwood (I think it was?)

grecIAN Harris

What have you been smoking? Only seen him look below par once, in the second half against Fleetwood (I think it was?)
Like I said, he's good at what he does but it's only half of what he needs to be doing.

manc grecian

As squad player when we're backs against the wall trying to cling on to a result and you need him to do what he is best at, yes. If you're looking at a player to play week in week out in the manner that Caldwell wants, nay expects, his side to play he doesn't have the technical ability on the ball. He is far from comfortable with the ball at his feet, has no idea of what his next pass is before he receives the ball and because of this is too slow in moving the ball around. As you've hopefully seen by now when we're at our most effective at breaking through the lines when we're quick and sharp on the ball. That requires players being comfortable on the ball and having an awareness of what their options are before they receive the ball so they can ping it on, everything Chieck isn't I'm afraid.
Oh, and the Charlton own goal, if he deals with the first cross instead of watching it float over him then he doesn't get the smack in the face from the header.
And how much is your modern day Franz beckenbauer going to cost and is he going to be happy playing second fiddle to Will Aimson

denzel

I can't be bothered to trawl, but I am sure that people were raving about Chieck when he was in the side.

I really hope he stays.

grecIAN Harris

And how much is your modern day Franz beckenbauer going to cost and is he going to be happy playing second fiddle to Will Aimson
I'm not asking for Franz Beckenbauer, just a defender who can use the ball with a modicum of comfort just as Aimson, Hartridge, Sweeney, Purrington and Fitzwater all do. A professional footballer, regardless of position, should be comfortable with the ball at his feet and have an awareness of what his next options are. If you think that I'm asking too much then you really need to ask yourself to what are you paying your money for.

ryancooper327

Only 7 from our promotion winning 'squad' (from Transfermarkt) remain and I think only 2 of those 7 will be here after the summer (Sweeney and Cox)! Excited for the retained list, just as exciting as a transfer window and the squad number announcement.

PlayerCurrent club
Cameron DawsonSheffield Wednesday
Scott BrownRetired
Harry LeeExeter City
Jack ArthurCrediton United AFC
Jonathan GroundsRetired
Sam StubbsBradford City
George RayBarrow AFC
Jordan DyerBath City
Pierce SweeneyExeter City
Alex HartridgeExeter City
Jack VealeTiverton Town