• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

SJP naming rights

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
F***ing hell mate, if you want to argue all night go stand in front of a mirror and knock yourself out.
Textbook Mox.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
It is, and any visitor can see how big it is. It’s now THE Bank at SJP, and throughout the EFL.

‘Big’ George Foreman would never call himself that - he doesn’t have to, or ever feel the need to.
Don't make me change my username to 'Banker'.

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
"Arguing all night"...it's literally two posts?!

Once the logic entered the room you kicked off 😂

I'd be interested to hear what those stands were originally called - if they were built as the Cowshed and Old Grandstand I'll eat my hat
Given SJP started as a field, it could well be the case that the cowshed was actually a shed for cows 🤣

fred binneys head

Don't make me change my username to 'Banker'.
It’s what we all call you anyway. Almost.

fred binneys head

I’ve got a book on the history of SJP, I’ll have a look later.

DawlishBouy

The Cowshed surely wasn't always called the Cowshed from conception? That would have been a pitiful name for a new structure

Likewise, the "Old" Grandstand wasn't always called the OG?

One for @Martin Weiler !
I believe it was always called The Cowshed. Numerous other clubs (Tranmere, Huddersfield, Accrington for example) also had covered terraced sections named The Cowshed. Lots of other clubs (Chelsea, Dundee United for example) just had The ’Shed as a name.

I believe it was always called The Cowshed. Numerous other clubs (Tranmere, Huddersfield, Accrington for example) also had covered terraced sections named The Cowshed. Lots of other clubs (Chelsea, Dundee United for example) just had The ’Shed as a name.
Chelsea's "Shed End" was originally called the Fulham Road End which fans later nicknamed the Shed End. The end was also not covered and was an open terrace

Bridgy 81

I’m fairly sure I read somewhere (or may have been told when I did the stadium tour) that prior to being a football ground the area where SJP sits was used for raising porkers.
So perhaps that area should have been called the Pigsty or Pigpen 🐷

DawlishBouy

Here’s the story from the archive:
https://grecianarchive.exeter.ac.uk/exhibits/show/history_sjp_hlf/redevelopments
The terraced side of the pitch being called the "Flower-Pot Stand. I assume it started being called the Cowshed after the roof was put over it. (I would also assume Chelsea’s supporters introduced the Shed nickname after that terrace gained a roof).

Would any company have liked to have naming rights for SJP in 1980 when it looke like this?:

Colesman Ballz

In the 50s and early 60's the roof of the OGS was emblazoned with REGENT (an oil/ petrol company of the era). I can't imagine that it was a particularly lucrative deal though, as mass air travel was in its infancy, particularly to/from Exeter Airport.