• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

League One - 2023/24

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I didn't realise they were as well supported as they clearly are.

Have they always had a big following?
They took 4000 to both Bolton and Wigan, where there's room for as many away fans as the away team wants tickets and it's not really that far from Carlisle to Greater Manchester. Those two matches pushed their average way higher than normal.

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
They took 4000 to both Bolton and Wigan, where there's room for as many away fans as the away team wants tickets and it's not really that far from Carlisle to Greater Manchester. Those two matches pushed their average way higher than normal.
It's still over 100 miles, most teams would consider that a long way (not us, obviously)

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's still over 100 miles, most teams would consider that a long way (not us, obviously)
Nor Carlisle...

iscalad

Strictly now L2 but incredible to think this has been passed as acceptable by the EFL

Fleetwood Town: EFL confirm Jamie Pilley as new owner of relegated club - BBC Sport
Farce

Mid Devon Grecian

Smoke bombs are classed as a pyrotechnic and it is a criminal offence to enter or attempt to enter a stadium with one.

I understand Max's take on how they help to create atmosphere and can't deny that the spectacle seen at many foreign games is exciting to behold.
One was carried across the field to celebrate the women's promotion a couple of weeks back.
It's also used to spruce up the official visuals for sporting celebrations - a tacit endorsement of the pyro 'thrill'.

I also very much agree with the rights of those who don't want to be caught up in unwanted smoke - particularly those who are asthmatic etc.

There is room somewhere for an objective debate about the whole issue rather than yes/no back and forth.
Can you have pyro of sorts at games within safety parameters?
And with consent?
Of maybe the fact that it is transgressive is the appeal?

However, as regards the lad that's just been done.
He would have known that right now FAFO rules apply so he has been caught bang to rights.
What’s the point of all the ‘goons’ pretending to frisk you if ‘pyrotechnics’ still enter the ground?

BTW I’m a supporter of pyrotechnics and have no idea why they are banned. What effect does it have on the game?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
What’s the point of all the ‘goons’ pretending to frisk you if ‘pyrotechnics’ still enter the ground?

BTW I’m a supporter of pyrotechnics and have no idea why they are banned. What effect does it have on the game?
I noticed that at Northampton that older fans were searched, e.g. myself but youngsters were not.

Spoonz Red E

Well the logical answers to your questions are

Without holding up everyone at the turnstiles for hours or vastly employing more 'goons' (your term not mine) it is impossible to frisk everyone which is why it's often just a cursory pat.

I’m a supporter of pyrotechnics and have no idea why they are banned. What effect does it have on the game?
It's not so much about the effect on the game (although that is a contributory factor) but more to do with crowd control and safety.
Smoke obscures CCTV and line of site for stewards.
It can cause adverse effects with breathing and unsettle some.

Football in the UK is still paying the price for the crowd control and safety incidents back in the 1980s which were serious at the time.
Lots of improvements regarding stadium design and crowd management practice have happened since then and I do think there is room for debate on what could be a compromise without either side being naive. There's plenty of data available now in regards to how it is managed abroad - pluses and minuses.

It's a bit like the safe standing issue.

Look at it objectively and see if it can be done.

Last edited:

DB9

Well the logical answers to your questions are

Without holding up everyone at the turnstiles for hours or vastly employing more 'goons' (your term not mine) it is impossible to frisk everyone which is why it's often just a cursory pat.

I’m a supporter of pyrotechnics and have no idea why they are banned. What effect does it have on the game?
It's not so much about the effect on the game (although that is a contributory factor) but more to do with crowd control and safety.
Smoke obscures CCTV and line of site for stewards.
It can cause adverse effects with breathing and unsettle some.

Football in the UK is still paying the price for the crowd control and safety incidents back in the 1980s which were serious at the time.
Lots of improvements regarding stadium design and crowd management practice have happened since then and I do think there is room for debate on what could be a compromise without either side being naive. There's plenty of data available now in regards to how it is managed abroad - pluses and minuses.

It's a bit like the safe standing issue.

Look at it objectively and see if it can be done.
Was pyrotechnics a thing back in the day? I'm only asking because I've always thought of them as a mainland European thing. We in the UK were too busy kicking the crap out of each other with all the "Firms" going around at the time, Luton v Millwall for instance, Never saw flares used just the Millwall fans ripping up Kennelworth Road.

Oldsmobile-88

I noticed that at Northampton that older fans were searched, e.g. myself but youngsters were not.
I’d imagine there is a different protocol for searching Juveniles or those who appear to be under U18.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I’d imagine there is a different protocol for searching Juveniles or those who appear to be under U18.
I do believe that is what happens, it's happened a few times at away grounds.