• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 227 59.6%
  • Out

Votes: 154 40.4%

• Total voters

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Don’t think it has been luck in the last two away games we have been the better team in both cases and played some very good football
The bad run did coincide with a really bad run of injuries
It can be hard sometimes to tell whether one team is playing well or the other team is just playing very badly. First half against Rovers was a bit like that. Were we seeing a big uptick in performance or were rovers just abject? First half against Barnsley though was outstanding, regardless of how well, or not, Barnsley played. Should really have gone in more than two up.

Don’t think it has been luck in the last two away games we have been the better team in both cases and played some very good football
The bad run did coincide with a really bad run of injuries
Every club has injuries. We are not unique

DawlishBouy

The two things that excuse the plummet down the table:
Going into the season with too small a squad particularly up front - Caldwell’s fault or the club’s?
The injuries - All clubs have injuries but not on the scale City have suffered. The catalogue of injuries run through the senior squad, through the junior first year pros and into the youth team. Are the injuries bad luck or a consequence of Caldwell installing a physically more demanding training schedule? You only have to listen to athlete’s bemoaning their injury setbacks to realise that the training that makes you bigger, faster, stonger can also make you broken.
The other question mark over Caldwell is could he have altered tactics to cope with the injury losses?
I’ll have to leave the answer to that one to exeweb’s resident Pep wannabees.

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
The two things that excuse the plummet down the table:
Sorry, but nothing excuses that.

denzel

I don't think our injuries are any worse than any other side. We have had 4 or 5 out at the worst. Some teams have had 8 or 9.
It's why you need a squad.

geoffwp

I'm happy taking the long view with our manager. To be honest I wasn't all that happy with his appointment in the first place as his record didn't impress me and I wondered what it was that got him the job. Best of a poor bunch? A wizz kid with PowerPoint and spread sheets? I do recall someone fron the club commenting that he impressed with his knowledge about the club ethos and I wondered if that ethos was about being a successful football team or all the community stuff that for me has always been an add on.
What happened after that only added to my doubts and the feeling that here was someone whose limitations were showing, when he appeared to be stuck for ideas, when he seemed to be trying the same things hoping for different results.
Now recent results have been a lot more positive but it's still way too soon for me to change my perception of the man. How many swallows is it that makes summer? I know a couple of them don't so i will wait and see. It's definitely not the case that I want him to fail, far from it. I want him to succeed because that will mean the team succeeds and we all yearn for that. I'll wait and see how the rest of this season goes before I think about changing my mind.

I'm happy taking the long view with our manager. To be honest I wasn't all that happy with his appointment in the first place as his record didn't impress me and I wondered what it was that got him the job. Best of a poor bunch? A wizz kid with PowerPoint and spread sheets? I do recall someone fron the club commenting that he impressed with his knowledge about the club ethos and I wondered if that ethos was about being a successful football team or all the community stuff that for me has always been an add on.
What happened after that only added to my doubts and the feeling that here was someone whose limitations were showing, when he appeared to be stuck for ideas, when he seemed to be trying the same things hoping for different results.
Now recent results have been a lot more positive but it's still way too soon for me to change my perception of the man. How many swallows is it that makes summer? I know a couple of them don't so i will wait and see. It's definitely not the case that I want him to fail, far from it. I want him to succeed because that will mean the team succeeds and we all yearn for that. I'll wait and see how the rest of this season goes before I think about changing my mind.
Absolutely spot on. I completely agree with your perspective 👍

fred binneys head

I don't think our injuries are any worse than any other side. We have had 4 or 5 out at the worst. Some teams have had 8 or 9.
It's why you need a squad.
I did say a good few weeks back that in the first 3 months of the season 21 out of the 24 first team squad (ignoring the kids) had been injured for at least one game, many for lots more than one game. I would suggest without any evidence whatsoever that that's far worse than any other club.

It's the reason why I held out against the Caldwell outers for so long before succumbing, which I said at the time.

Bridgy 81

I think the current squad’s contract situation is:
Jules has an option for a further year.
Niskanen, Aimson, Fitzwater and Aitchison have one year left.
Cole, Purrington and Harper have one year left and an option for a further year.
Sweeney has two years left.
So if we exercise the option on Jules that’s 9 players signed up for a further year or more.
Mostly defenders - so work again will be required in relation to goalkeeper/s and midfield.
Obviously we’re also very light in relation to contracted strikers beyond this season (i.e. zero) but hopefully that’ll be rectified in the next day or two!
As well as Milli joining us in the past couple of days I forgot when I posted the above that Watts’ recent contract extension also includes an option for next season.
So we now have a full set of 11 first teamers potentially signed up for next season.
Only trouble is none of them are goalkeepers.
Any volunteers?

tom_ecfc

Only trouble is none of them are goalkeepers.
Any volunteers?
Diabate or Perks?