• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 229 59.9%
  • Out

Votes: 153 40.1%

• Total voters

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
It tells a story, although at the end of the season points will be a better story
And we'll look back fondly at literally being able to remember every goal we've scored.

Number13

Gary has done enough to stay, I don't think he should be sacked in the immediate future - not that it would happen anyway

There have been some really decent results recently

I'm really struggling to get on board with the style, it kills SJP stone dead

Will keep turning up because... City

Actually managed to get to a home game last night and our comment was that for a big crowd, the atmospehere was non-existent. At times it almost felt eerie. There was a moment early on when Derby nearly scored down our end and the crowd was just silent - no gasps or that moment of sound where you fear the worse. Weird. I did wonder if its because there seemed like a lot of "tourists" there last night and kids coming becuase it was half term. Made me hanker for the days of 3000 crowds in the Conf when at least everyone there seemed to be involved and bothered

Also, I agree the style is so slow and whilst for the first 20 minutes I get it, it was clear in that time period that Derby were happy to sit in, not worry about us scoring and then pick us off either on the break or when we give them the ball which then came to pass. Then, last 10 when the game is gone we're getting in crosses, having half chances - we can do it and do it at pace Gary, please just let them.......

And the last comment on the crowd, they were served up a (expected??) defeat and the fare wasnt great but there were no boos - although maybe that goes back to my earlier point about the crowd being a load of tourists....

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Gary has done enough to stay, I don't think he should be sacked in the immediate future - not that it would happen anyway

There have been some really decent results recently

I'm really struggling to get on board with the style, it kills SJP stone dead

Will keep turning up because... City
This is exactly where I'm at.

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
Actually managed to get to a home game last night and our comment was that for a big crowd, the atmospehere was non-existent. At times it almost felt eerie. There was a moment early on when Derby nearly scored down our end and the crowd was just silent - no gasps or that moment of sound where you fear the worse. Weird. I did wonder if its because there seemed like a lot of "tourists" there last night and kids coming becuase it was half term. Made me hanker for the days of 3000 crowds in the Conf when at least everyone there seemed to be involved and bothered

Also, I agree the style is so slow and whilst for the first 20 minutes I get it, it was clear in that time period that Derby were happy to sit in, not worry about us scoring and then pick us off either on the break or when we give them the ball which then came to pass. Then, last 10 when the game is gone we're getting in crosses, having half chances - we can do it and do it at pace Gary, please just let them.......

And the last comment on the crowd, they were served up a (expected??) defeat and the fare wasnt great but there were no boos - although maybe that goes back to my earlier point about the crowd being a load of tourists....
The crowd atmosphere has been like that for ages.

When we go into full blown coma football everyone stops watching the football and starts chatting to each other.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
We've scored ONE first-half goal at SJP this season, and that was back on August 26, when we beat Reading 2-1 [Will Aimson if you're wondering].

Reasonably confident this isn't conducive to getting the atmosphere going [nor, for that matter, especially helpful in terms of winning games].

JGrecian23

The crowd atmosphere has been like that for ages.

When we go into full blown coma football everyone stops watching the football and starts chatting to each other.
There was a bloke in front of me who spent the entire second half choosing chairs on Ikea website. I missed the 2nd goal as was enthralled by how many dining chairs one guy needs!

I personally would start to (partially) look inwards at ourselves as supporters for the lack of atmosphere rather than attributing it all purely to the playing style. If we are really saying that as a fanbase we can only create a decent atmosphere at games where the team on the pitch play a certain style then surely that's a failing on our part as supporters, rather than purely on the manager/the team. This atmosphere isn't also unique to GC, as MT mentioned and dug out the crowd on a couple of occasions when he also thought SJP was flat.

Back in the days of Fox, Blake, McNab, Cornforth etc we were truly dire at times yet I always seem to feel as though there was often a decent atmosphere. Regardless of the style of play, I always felt from my position in the Cowshed and thereafter that those who created and maintained the atmosphere saw that as almost their 'responsibility' to do so. I feel as though football fans appear to have moved away from that (not just as SJP but at a lot of grounds) and now find it much harder to generate atmospheres of old. Same as has been mentioned previously about away support, I always used to think our away fans would sing non-stop, whereas the past few years, even stretching back to the latter days of Tis, that seems to have regressed somewhat.

Whilst it was clear that there was a gulf in class between the finishing between the two sides last night, I thought the rest of the game was somewhat even and I actually was enthused watching some of our play at times and felt as though, especially first half, we looked to play short forward combinations quickly and looked really effective. They had a lot of gaps in the centre of the pitch and some of our quick combinations in transition were really good to watch and got me edging forward towards to edge of my seat. If Mo had been a little sharper (which IMO will come the more games he plays) and we'd been a little more ruthless (Aitcheson onto the post etc), we could certainly have gotten a goal or two. That's where my frustration came in - that we arguably got in better areas, yet found ourselves 1-0 down, then 2-0, which then the game was way out of our reach.

People want quick attacking football I get that, but you can't just play it forward as quickly as possible every single time, there are times when you need to complete a few more passes and drag teams out of position in order to play through them, which is what we did, sometimes played quickly when the moment was there, sometimes slower. Liverpool are renowned as probably the most attacking and exciting team to watch in England, yet even they don't pass forward aimlessly and quickly every time, they pick their moments.

I understand the argument that it's the players responsibility to get fans going and give them the impetus to create an atmosphere however it isn't necessarily one I always prescribe to. Fans always want to be vocal about their importance and the fact that they can be the 'twelfth man', if that's the case, go onto the terraces and do all you can to create a vibrant rocking SJP. The more fans sit/stand and wait for a spark to get them going, the more it reinforces the argument that the impact fans have on a result is weakening. I honestly feel that with a rocking SJP behind the lads from the warm-up to KO and then thereafter last night, that it could have really helped apply more pressure and helped the lads out who were on the pitch.

The results have been good recently and I still think that we can play even better and that this team can be one that a majority of us enjoy watching, so hopefully they continue to progress and build on some of our better attacking play from the last few weeks. I also agree that now that performances seem to have picked up and confidence should be returning, the next step should be to look to starting to put teams under intense early pressure in home games. That's a fair criticism and one I want and expect GC to address, but surely some of the responsibility lies with us to go out and sing, cheer and support our hearts out even if you'd rather the tactics be different? Can we make it a cauldron of noise and intensity and give the players something to feed off rather than needing it to be the other way around?

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm not going to use last night as a stick to beat Caldwell with, the fact of the matter is sides like Derby should be beating us with what they have at their disposal - we were outclassed last night in my opinion.

However, it's ANOTHER home game without a goal scored. 10 goals in 17 matches is pathetic.

I'll buy a season ticket next season regardless but I'm expecting a drop off.

paperclip

I'm not going to use last night as a stick to beat Caldwell with, the fact of the matter is sides like Derby should be beating us with what they have at their disposal - we were outclassed last night in my opinion.

However, it's ANOTHER home game without a goal scored. 10 goals in 17 matches is pathetic.

I'll buy a season ticket next season regardless but I'm expecting a drop off.
Agreed. Football is primarily an entertainment business and it's hard to claim fans have been entertained at SJP this season. Yes the diehards will undoubtedly renew their season tickets, but judging by the number of fans on the BB permanently on their phones throughout the second half, quite a few people are now just very bored with what is being served up on the pitch. Combine that with the cost of living issues and I expect a big drop off in ST sales next season.

Alfie 1966

Just a word to Gary's side kick when you come down from your high perch and open the safety gate to go to the dug out i understand you are very big but if you can open the gate then i feel sure you could manage to close the gate ||| twice last night