• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 229 59.9%
  • Out

Votes: 153 40.1%

• Total voters

GrecianGrain

Good place to be really, nice and measured.

I also agree that the debate around his future is pretty much null and void as the board will stick with him no matter what. They've shown what their tactics are in the circumstances; it should pay off in terms of survival this season so the only real questions around GC will have to be asked down the line next season now.

I'll only be rude to those who are also rude. There's a smugness to certain posters that annoys me, perhaps they think the same about me too which is fine - we can battle. If you actually have a balanced point and don't come running on here every time the needle moves one way or the other then you're golden.
As someone who was Caldwell in bar wavering slightly after the 3-0 fleetwood result, I always thought it was wise to keep him this season, and I agree that next season is the really big test. A lot more pressure to see whether he (and the rest of the coaching staff) can truly deliver a sense of development for our club. In my mind survival was good enough this year given the turnover of players etc (I’m aware we’ve not quite yet ‘survived’ this season). Next season we will/should have more continuity and a better chance to build a platform for success. I’m not expecting promotion or anything crazy, but defintely a sense of consistency and hopefully an improved league position.

I will say that I think the board deserves credit for their decision not to bow to pressure to sack him, and speaks to a good sense of long-term strategy, as well as fundamentally understanding that sacking your manager doesn’t necessarily solve your problems. I’ve always seen enough in the team to believe that there’s a positive process and project despite the awful run and some drab performances, and I hope that can begin to flourish more next season.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
As someone who was Caldwell in bar wavering slightly after the 3-0 fleetwood result, I always thought it was wise to keep him this season, and I agree that next season is the really big test. A lot more pressure to see whether he (and the rest of the coaching staff) can truly deliver a sense of development for our club. In my mind survival was good enough this year given the turnover of players etc (I’m aware we’ve not quite yet ‘survived’ this season). Next season we will/should have more continuity and a better chance to build a platform for success. I’m not expecting promotion or anything crazy, but defintely a sense of consistency and hopefully an improved league position.

I will say that I think the board deserves credit for their decision not to bow to pressure to sack him, and speaks to a good sense of long-term strategy, as well as fundamentally understanding that sacking your manager doesn’t necessarily solve your problems. I’ve always seen enough in the team to believe that there’s a positive process and project despite the awful run and some drab performances, and I hope that can begin to flourish more next season.
Agree with that and also the bit about the board. I stuck with GC right up to the Port Vale game at home so was late to that particular party but I now find myself thinking those guys deserve a bit of credit for not taking the easy decision to sack GC. Similarly David Artell who was on our shortlist was in a nosedive of terrible results at Grimsby but again their board stuck with him and he has stabilised the ship with them unbeaten in five games now.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Did the board make a decision on Caldwell? We'll never know. I doubt they even discussed it.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Did the board make a decision on Caldwell? We'll never know. I doubt they even discussed it.
Seems like a distinction without a difference

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think they got lucky. I think they did the equivalent of sticking their fingers in their ears yelling lalalala can’t hear you hoping it would all go away. Fortunately for them, and us, it, to a certain extent, did. I don’t think they deserve any credit for their complete lack of action, much less for their communications to the fans on the situation. The Hawker interview being a particularly laughable (now) attempt at appeasing the masses.

Bridgy 81

Out of January’s much anticipated signings, which we were essentially told would put us back on track, I think Harris has done ok, nothing spectacular but he works hard and always seems available for selection, which is an attribute I’m very keen on.
Purrington has been a bit stop start because of a knock but Eisa hasn’t done as well as I’d hoped (yet).
Millie has only had sporadic opportunities so far, but I have to say that in his short cameo on Tuesday he physically looked the business to me and seemed to be trying to put himself about.
I was encouraged by that and what he may bring to us going forward.
But, I’ve personally been most impressed by Woods.
He was very good at Shrewsbury and is clearly very comfortable at our level.
No disrespect intended but he does move strangely although that doesn’t seem to stop him covering the ground.
I know he has a year left on Championship wages but if there’s a deal to be done with Hull I’d be very in favour.
In an odd way, although we’re currently comparatively injury free I think our squad is now perhaps a bit too big.
But as Kevin Nicholson said today that’s the best way to keep pressure on everyone to continue to perform, provided presumably everyone is pulling in the same direction and there’s no disharmony in the ranks.
GC is obviously going to get the opportunity to build further in the summer and from where I’m standing I reckon the players we already have signed up for next season are a very decent bunch to start with.
A few more decent acquisitions to cover for the inevitable departures and I think we should do ok and consolidate our position in League One further.

Boyo

Didn’t Hawker talk about Caldwell having to explain to the board the reason we were struggling, and then came out and said the club were backing him and will spend in January?

GrecianGrain

I think they got lucky. I think they did the equivalent of sticking their fingers in their ears yelling lalalala can’t hear you hoping it would all go away. Fortunately for them, and us, it, to a certain extent, did. I don’t think they deserve any credit for their complete lack of action, much less for their communications to the fans on the situation. The Hawker interview being a particularly laughable (now) attempt at appeasing the masses.
This is not what happened. They didn’t just hope for the best and got lucky. What was the ‘lack of action’? Making 5 first team signings doesn’t sound like inaction to me. Hawker clearly said they backed the manager and believed he would turn it around, which he more or less has considering we’re around 6 points from safety with 8 games to go. But by all means don’t let reality ruin the narrative that the board and manager are useless and awful and terrible and everything is shit because Caldwell is our manager. What a silly little post

Average Joe

How can you say the board got lucky?

Firstly I believe the only reason GC is still in charge is because he made the board accountable for playing the first half of the season with only one striker. The board sold Nombe, there's no way GC wanted to sell Nombe so it would have been up to the board to find a replacement at such short notice, they didn't and GC had leverage to use as an excuse for the lack of goals.

Regardless what, how or why GC is in charge, it's still the correct decision. We've played some blinding football this year, beat some class teams and we look good in the league at this current time.

I personally think GC is the man for establishing ourselves as a confident league one team year in year out, and then maybe one day who knows

Imagine if by God's name we actually manage to get promoted, we'd be laughing stock in the championship. Wouldn't be good for our club at all.

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
This is not what happened. They didn’t just hope for the best and got lucky. What was the ‘lack of action’? Making 5 first team signings doesn’t sound like inaction to me. Hawker clearly said they backed the manager and believed he would turn it around, which he more or less has considering we’re around 6 points from safety with 8 games to go. But by all means don’t let reality ruin the narrative that the board and manager are useless and awful and terrible and everything is shit because Caldwell is our manager. What a silly little post
‘Silly little post’. Sorry Nick, didn’t realise you were on here. Please do tell what you’re planning for the close season and the next window - may as well let us know now to stop any ill informed speculation and further ‘silly little posts’. 🙄