• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ollie Watkins

haka

The important thing is that Ollie wore number 9. With tournament squad numbers he probably won't.

I hope he kept a shirt.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Completely agree this is not going to be an easy game in which for any England player to impress Brazil playing well not taking any prisoners and looking dangerous on the break. Ollie has been running the channels well but has only had that one chance to speak of so far.
Indeed. As I feared, playing tonight against Brazil will turn out to be a bit of a poisoned chalice. Toney will start the next game and if he scores,Ollie slips down the pecking order.

Thought Ollie generally did OK and the system looked neat with good interplay with Ollie at number 9 *whilst Bellingham was on the pitch*. After Bellingham went off it all went to pot a bit.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ollie stayed in his shell, largely anonymous. Doesn’t help that Southgate’s tactic of aiming for Maguire at the far post bypasses him.
Agreed the way the team was set up and tactics adopted certainly did not help him I think odds on certainty Toney will start against Beiguim and if he does score he will given a ticket on the Euros plane and Ollie will unfortunately miss out.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Indeed. As I feared, playing tonight against Brazil will turn out to be a bit of a poisoned chalice. Toney will start the next game and if he scores,Ollie slips down the pecking order.

Thought Ollie generally did OK and the system looked neat with good interplay with Ollie at number 9 *whilst Bellingham was on the pitch*. After Bellingham went off it all went to pot a bit.
I had exactly the same feeling and that Brazil would be a hard nut to crack. It was a real pressure situation for Ollie knowing that his place in the Euro squad probably depended on him scoring against a very good team.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Being very prejudiced if, as I think more than likely that, Toney starts against Belgium hoping if he does that he will fail to score and Ollie can come on and redeem himself. It could be that a place in the squad will be decided by just a vital single goal and whoever is lucky enough to scores it.

Antony Moxey

Brazil would be a hard nut to crack.
Haha - very good!

Ollie did ok tonight and was no worse than so called established players. If Toney scores on Tuesday and is poor the rest of the game that doesn't mean he's a shoe in.
Chilwell and Maguire were simply awful tonight and Gordon flattered to deceive. Missed Harry and certainly needed Saka on the pitch. Grealish, at his best, would have offered something less predictable. Brazil were technically superior and should have won by more, helped by the fact we didn't have anyone in midfield who could break up their counter attacks.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I had exactly the same feeling and that Brazil would be a hard nut to crack.
Technically, they're a seed, not a nut.

I'll get me coat.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ollie did ok tonight and was no worse than so called established players. If Toney scores on Tuesday and is poor the rest of the game that doesn't mean he's a shoe in.
Chilwell and Maguire were simply awful tonight and Gordon flattered to deceive. Missed Harry and certainly needed Saka on the pitch. Grealish, at his best, would have offered something less predictable. Brazil were technically superior and should have won by more, helped by the fact we didn't have anyone in midfield who could break up their counter attacks.
Gordon was excellent.

geoffwp

Gordon Bennett