• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

brentford v city match day thread

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
I was there for that one.
My brother used to live in Ealing so his place was a convenient base camp for matches at Griffin Park.
I think we sat down that day in a stand high above one of the goals.
I remember Fleetwood scoring for us and I vaguely remembered the match ended in a draw.
So I’ve just looked up the details but hadn’t recalled that their equalizer was so late in the game.
At least we got a point though.
I watched us once from the main grandstand there many years earlier when we were drubbed 4:0.
And that came in the same 1982/83 season I saw them stick 7 passed us at SJP!
I missed that one, but I'd been to earlier encounters at Griffin Park. Favourite moment was the chant at an impassive steward watching over us "Smile in a minute, you're gonna smile in a minute" until we realised he didn't speak English...

denzel

Yep, loved that one too. Remember going into one of the four corner pubs after the game, I think only two of them are there now?
Thought that was a great old ground.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
One of my favourite away days. Can't beat an away day in the capital and I am I right in thinking we had 1800 fans there? Amazing atmosphere.

iscalad

Was this the one where Harley put a sublime through ball to Fleetwood to score? If so I was there.

wiveygrecian

Was this the one where Harley put a sublime through ball to Fleetwood to score? If so I was there.
Yes that’s the one , Paul Jones saved a second half penalty as well

iscalad

Yes that’s the one , Paul Jones saved a second half penalty as well
Ah, I was sat in the stand above that standing section.

crocks

Ah, I was sat in the stand above that standing section.
With smallest leg room I have ever experienced

grecIAN Harris

15 years ago today. One of my favourite awaydays. It was LOUD.
I was convinced that had we won that game we would have gone on to win the League.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
One of my favourite away days. Can't beat an away day in the capital and I am I right in thinking we had 1800 fans there? Amazing atmosphere.
Yes 1800ish and for that reason there was a load of plod outside after.

jambo

Well-known Exeweb poster
Good to meet so many exewebbers, many for the first time and a great turnout by the City fans as a whole.
Don't recall much about the game (although it appears I was paying attention)! I do recall the atmosphere on the terrace being superb.
Main memory is of drinking in the corner bars beforehand, & meeting up with Po*ltice & Mackster - were you there Sturtz? Po*ltice took it upon himself to beguile a full cohort of jamblets with a continous spiel of "anecdotes" told in "colourful" prose. I don't think I'd ever seen my kids so rapt 🤣

(the frequently banned one is now so completely non grata around these parts that his name gets asterisked out - sort it out Modalethorpes 😁)