• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Jake Richards

GrecianByTransit

I appreciate that if a ‘big’ club comes in for Jake it’d be understandably incredibly tempting for him.
But I genuinely think that for the longterm development of his football career he’d be best staying with us for two or three more seasons.
If he holds his form (although they’ll inevitably be occasional dips) and continues to strengthen physically then he’ll be guaranteed plenty of valuable first team League One starts and minutes for us.
Admittedly Matt Grimes and Ollie Watkins were a bit older than Jake but both quickly became integral members of our team, played around 60-70 matches for us, then earned lucrative and successful moves to Championship clubs and have never looked back.
I really hope whoever Jake listens to is advising him this way for his benefit and of course it wouldn’t be the worst thing for us either.
I really believe this is the best way for those in his position at his age. Right now, he has the chance to grow and be a first teamer in a competitive league and in an environment he is comfortable in and can flourish in.

If he goes to a Prem team then he will continue to be a 'talent', potentially never become a starter and be farmed out left and right on loan. That's not conducive to personal progression, in my opinion.

Become the cream of the crop where you are, then conquer the next challenge. Jake could become an accomplished player, 50+ senior appearances under his belt and all while still being in his teens. Any championship team/Prem academy would bite your hands off to sign him.

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
I really believe this is the best way for those in his position at his age. Right now, he has the chance to grow and be a first teamer in a competitive league and in an environment he is comfortable in and can flourish in.

If he goes to a Prem team then he will continue to be a 'talent', potentially never become a starter and be farmed out left and right on loan. That's not conducive to personal progression, in my opinion.

Become the cream of the crop where you are, then conquer the next challenge. Jake could become an accomplished player, 50+ senior appearances under his belt and all while still being in his teens. Any championship team/Prem academy would bite your hands off to sign him.
I totally understand why you think this, but there's a hell of a lot of heavy lifting being done by some rose tinted specs.

If he got the chance to follow in the footsteps of someone like Ethan, you can't tell me that the facilities and coaching, let alone the money, won't be many times superior to what we can offer. As for being a starter... he is, and can be loaned out to start elsewhere, aka Harris.

Don't get me wrong, I hope he sticks about, but to suggest he's better served... that's wishful thinking.

Bridgy 81

Don't get me wrong, I hope he sticks about, but to suggest he's better served... that's wishful thinking.
(For the various reasons I gave previously) I respectfully disagree.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
My incomplete list of distractions are nine in number. Technology, Other People ,MyThoughts,The News, Money, Social Media, Food, Shopping, Trying to figure out why I have supported Exeter City for so long.
(Perhaps the production and development of players like Jake Richards is a partial explanation)
I thought the weather might also come into it :unsure:

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
I thought the weather might also come into it :unsure:
Me too.
Dr T makes the weather reports and, I suspect, may well listen to Weather Report.

Let's hope Jake Richards doesn't become Mr Gone too soon.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Me too.
Dr T makes the weather reports and, I suspect, may well listen to Weather Report.
He's certainly good at Tale Spinnin'

GrecianByTransit

I totally understand why you think this, but there's a hell of a lot of heavy lifting being done by some rose tinted specs.

If he got the chance to follow in the footsteps of someone like Ethan, you can't tell me that the facilities and coaching, let alone the money, won't be many times superior to what we can offer. As for being a starter... he is, and can be loaned out to start elsewhere, aka Harris.

Not the same situation as Ethan, at all. He isn't a starter, he is just breaking out now. I get the facilities etc are better but he could go to a team like that at 19, still a prospect and with experience under his belt. Right now, he would be lost in the mire, in my opinion.

No disrespect to Jake but I think that he is an upper Championship player. Ethan was destined for greatness from day 1.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
No disrespect to Jake but I think that he is an upper Championship player. Ethan was destined for greatness from day 1.
The kid's 16. At 26 he could be top half of the premiership or bottom half of the Stitch2Print Devon and Exeter football league.

Trapdoor

Jake Richards. Different gravy.

tonykellowfan

I can't see what the fuss is about to be honest. The recent games he has played he hasn't done anything of note. He got into the box once and shinned the ball wide of the post. Total over reaction on here.