• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

A Night at the Theatre

Bridgy 81

I couldn’t see a thread along these lines so thought I’d start one (not that I go tho the theatre that often).
I recently saw Michael Sheen portraying Aneurin Bevan in Nye at the Millennium Centre in Cardiff.
Firstly, although I’d been outside it a few times (you can actually see its roof from some parts of WsM on a clear day) I’d never been inside before.
It’s a magnificent venue.
The play itself has as its starting point Bevan being in hospital towards the end of his life thinking back over it through a surreal dream.
It focuses on his childhood, his time as a miner and union official, his personal relationships and of course him being an MP.
His integral involvement with the creation of the NHS in 1948 is, unsurprisingly, the centrepiece of the story.
2 hours and 40 minutes long, Michael Sheen is on stage for every minute and put in a brilliant performance.
All this and in a good seat for 19 quid each.
Bargain.
And cheaper than watching City!

Stelios

That sounds like a bargain

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
I couldn’t see a thread along these lines so thought I’d start one (not that I go tho the theatre that often).
I recently saw Michael Sheen portraying Aneurin Bevan in Nye at the Millennium Centre in Cardiff.
Firstly, although I’d been outside it a few times (you can actually see its roof from some parts of WsM on a clear day) I’d never been inside before.
It’s a magnificent venue.
The play itself has as its starting point Bevan being in hospital towards the end of his life thinking back over it through a surreal dream.
It focuses on his childhood, his time as a miner and union official, his personal relationships and of course him being an MP.
His integral involvement with the creation of the NHS in 1948 is, unsurprisingly, the centrepiece of the story.
2 hours and 40 minutes long, Michael Sheen is on stage for every minute and put in a brilliant performance.
All this and in a good seat for 19 quid each.
Bargain.
And cheaper than watching City!
would love to watch that being a Labour historian and almost cheaper than a prescription - Nye would be so angry

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
just looked it up Bridgy and it's showing on Sunday 2pm in .................... Bridgwater would you believe. Tickets now purchased for a live screening from the National Theatre only 15 quid as well

Bridgy 81

just looked it up Bridgy and it's showing on Sunday 2pm in .................... Bridgwater would you believe. Tickets now purchased for a live screening from the National Theatre only 15 quid as well
Yes screenings of it have been showing on different days in various cinemas and theatres nationwide recently.
The National Theatre in particular have filmed numerous of their productions and shown them in this way lately.
Brings them to people who wouldn’t ordinarily have the chance to attend so I’m all for it.
Nye started at the NT and transferred down to Cardiff last week, presumably because of the Welsh connection.
We thought it’d be particularly interesting to see it live.
And Cardiff isn’t very for us to get to, only an hour and a bit and we also made two nights of it.
Hope you enjoy it.
Be prepared for it to be a bit surreal though as the story is told through a dream/hallucination when he’s at death’s door.

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
A great actor Michael Sheen.

I must try to see him in the theatre - I missed out on seeing him back in the 90s in London due to illness when he was first making a name for himself on stage.
His TV and film work where he's played several well known figures - Brian Clough, Tony Blair, Kenneth Williams, David Frost - are a masterclass in inhabiting a character and assuming their physical characteristics. An additional skillset is needed to do this for camera than the one needed for stage work.

Bridgy 81

I must try to see him in the theatre - I missed out on seeing him back in the 90s in London due to illness when he was first making a name for himself on stage.
His TV and film work where he's played several well known figures - Brian Clough, Tony Blair, Kenneth Williams, David Frost - are a masterclass in inhabiting a character and assuming their physical characteristics. An additional skillset is needed to do this for camera than the one needed for stage work.
And of course he played Chris Tarrant in the 2020 ITV three party drama Quiz about The Coughing Major.
Plus he’s Prince Andrew in an Amazon series due out in October.

Colesman Ballz

On Friday evening I made a return visit to the Canal Cafe Theatre, upstairs in the Bridge House pub at London's Little Venice. It was to see "Newsrevue" a satirical look at current news in sketches and songs. Featuring a cast of four (changing every six weeks) and an accompanying pianist, with new material being added weekly (Rishi's rain sodden speech was lampooned beautifully !). The fact that it has been running over forty years is a testament to its popularity and excellent format. I have been many times down the years and throughly enjoyed it. It runs Thursday - Sundays, and we'll worth a visit if you are up "in town".

Oldsmobile-88

I’ve only visited once. The Dury Lane Theatre In May 1975. Saw the Billy Liar musical on a school trip. It was a fantastic experience. Michael Crawford & Elaine Page were in the lead roles.

It was a great day out. A train carriage was reserved from Dawlish, which departed at 0930 with about 40 of us for our day out in the capital. Left to our own devices with the instruction to meet at Leicester Sq at 6:30pm. 😁
Got the overnight train back. zzz
If Carlsburg did school trips...

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster

Though perhaps a little inconsistent in his views on acting.