• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

A quiet 'catch up' please

Alan Crockford

Well-known Exeweb poster
I've been away from Exeweb for much of the past few seasons and all of this campaign, but thought after the Northampton game that I'd better pay a bit of attention to ECFC matters, given the seriously terrifying prospect of a return to non leagueyness.

I've been to the Accrington Away (3-2), Southend Away (3-2) and Gargoyle (3-1) games this season, in among some decent draws and the odd honourable defeat (e.g. Pompey). So I clearly haven't seen the worst of City.

My last game was the Dagenham 2-2 at home when ECFC was director for he day, in which we looked competitive and hard working. We lacked a bit of quality going forwards, except for the first 15 of the second half when we were excellent, and, if anything, I'd question whether Tis was right to leave the game fairly open and expansive when we perhaps could have kept it tight against a pacy Daggers team. (Their equaliser was an excellent, speedy counter attack which, I am proud to say, I think I was the only Grecian in the director's box to applaud.)

I thought the atmos in the ground was good and encouraging - clearly, I couldn't hear individual shouts other than in the FlyBe, but the Bank did its basic 'Come on City' job pretty well.

Taking that Daggers draw as a measure, would you Exewebbers say we have generally been worse than that at home since Scotty's beautiful third against the Snot, or would that be about par?

PS: I know the stats speak for themselves, the winless home run was mental, but I dare say you have loads of threads about that. I'd be interested in the collective wisdom around how we've been playing please. Ta.

rp42

Basically ...................****** at home no shots against the team nearest to you at the bottom.

A Slacker

Since the Argyle game I'm afraid that until today's outstanding showing it has been consistently turgid and un-exciting. I honestly thought that we wouldn't win another home game this season because we just never look like scoring and always look vulnerable at the back, particularly on set pieces. However today was a complete contrast and, once again, I am enthused and excited to be an Exeter City supporter. Much more of this and I may even renew my season ticket after all.

Alan Crockford

Well-known Exeweb poster
Thanks rp42. Yes, of course, the Northampton game sounded utterly horrific - just imagine, a point even in that game and we'd be considerably calmer.

Mr Slacker's description of our poor run sounds somewhat like the Daggers game - we 'were' a bit turgid for around 70 mins - but I didn't think we really looked like scandalously bad.

Keen to hear other views if anyone fancies trying to weigh us up, but I do understand that you've spent months on this season's big dipper and probably aren't in the mood to be coaxed into my cosy snug for a half of Otter and a chinwag...

NotDannyColes

Today shows what we can do when we are at our best, long may it continue.

richard_portland

Very well known Exeweb poster
Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Of the losses Newport wasn't the worst performance but Hartlepool Southend Chesterfield were very poor. Rochdale Pompey dagenham had some good points but main problem is in front of goal. Today was obviously much better, and moving forwards we need to focus on what we can do to give the opposition problems. If we are to lose home points make the other side show they are better than us.

Alan Crockford

Well-known Exeweb poster
Thanks. Yes, I'd agree that we've been lacking an in-form striker - which was also an issue in the win at Southend, when some good approach work looked set to lead to nothing until the last few minutes.