• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Barrow A.F.C. v Exeter City F.C. Match Day Thread

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Their full back that got a yellow for hacking down Taylor should have been off. He'd already pulled Williams back when he was passed him and in on goal, an offence for which Bowman nearly got booked!

jimbo-gould

Sorry for beating you.
Liam who screams ‘bad losers’ fully unaware he’s being a bad winner.

IndoMike

Have you ever played having travelled to a game on a coach for even a couple of hours? I have and it is mind and body numbing. I'm sure I read at the start of the thread the team left at 9am for a trip that lasted 7 or 8 hours. The lads would have had a 45 minute break for driver regulations, other than you can't get up and have a wonder about and stretch your legs like you can on a train. So seven sat in the same spot (personally I've never found coaches that comfortable). Why do you think clubs travel up the day before when affordable?
Agree with you on this one.
I assume the club had some reason for doing this, but don't know what it could be. Maybe to go up on Monday was too soon after Cambridge?

Colesman Ballz

We have travelled up the day before previously and been total turd.

It's another lame excuse, sitting on a bus doesn't mean our players lose the ability to pass the ball.
Harris is right and you are wrong. For many years I coached a London based team in another sport at a National League level. We had fixtures every year at the likes of Newcastle and Sunderland. They proved difficult to say the least, but once we switched to travelling the day before and overnighting in a hotel we had a 100% winning record. Perhaps your conjecture needs re-examination ?

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Harris is right and you are wrong. For many years I coached a London based team in another sport at a National League level. We had fixtures every year at the likes of Newcastle and Sunderland. They proved difficult to say the least, but once we switched to travelling the day before and overnighting in a hotel we had a 100% winning record. Perhaps your conjecture needs re-examination ?
Not on the basis of your info but thanks anyway.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Exactly. Just bad losers that's all.
Listen, I assume you're a Barrow fan, congratulations on your win last night, we were dog sh!t and you were marginally better. Now feck off back to the Conference with your little quips and comments and let us fester in our own pessimism and misery for a few more days until we win again when we'll lighten up a bit.

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
Agree with you on this one.
I assume the club had some reason for doing this, but don't know what it could be. Maybe to go up on Monday was too soon after Cambridge?
This season the club has made the decision that for most away games on a Saturday they travel up on the Friday and stay overnight to then play on the Saturday.

For midweek games they are generally traveling up the day of the game and then stay over after the game and travel back the next day. So the team would have stayed overnight last night and would be traveling back today.

grecIAN Harris

Not on the basis of your info but thanks anyway.
So give us your first hand experience of being cramped up on a coach for numerous hours before participating in some kind of competitive sport. Even when we travel anywhere with Chloe for her athletics in the car (be it Cornwall, Cardiff or even London when we usually arrange an overnight stay) we try to get there a good couple of hours beforehand where we can to give her time to let her body stretch out before she starts up on her normal warm up routine (which is another 45-60 minutes long). When she goes to National Schools Finals, the Devon team always travel up the day before so the kids are fresh and ready. Ever hear heard of The Seven P's. P!$$ Poor Preperation Produces **** Poor Performance. Seven hours stuck in a coach seat is P!$$ Poor Preperation in my eyes.
Maybe we ought to try and link up with one of the rail companies. Travelling by train is always far more comfortable.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Greasy, you played football to a $h1t level, I couldn't care less about your own experiences.

grecIAN Harris

Greasy, you played football to a $h1t level, I couldn't care less about your own experiences.
Trying to dodge a bullet with one below the belt. Come on tell us of your knowledgable experiences, we're all waiting with baited breath.