• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Brighton fan moving down to Lympstone, hoping to get to a few games next season

Hi all,

(Sorry if this is in the wrong place for this post)

I'm a Brighton fan from Sussex potentially moving down to Lympstone training camp to join up with the Royal Marines in September. Although I'm looking forward to joining up, I'm dreading it in one aspect, since it would mean jacking in my Brighton season ticket and not seeing my beloved club play ever week! I'm nearly hurting inside.

So to get my football fix, Exeter is just down the road, and looking on Google maps the train links are pretty much brilliant (from what I saw). Lympstone Commando (is it still used?) looks like it's 20 minutes to the ground.

So I came on here just to learn a bit more about Exeter City. I watch The Football League Show ever week, and have a few team's results I look out for up and down the football pyramid, but apart from that I'm nearly clueless. So what should I know about Exeter before coming to a game? I know ex-Brighton player Ryan Harley is well liked here, and he scored one brilliant free kick at Brighton, but sadly it didn't work out for him, good to see he's doing well here.

I have few questions if you don't mind answering.

--------------------------------

So why are Exeter called the Grecians? An extremely quick Google search didn't yield much.

Any good pubs near the ground?

What's the fan's views on the team, the management, and the ownership? What's the thoughts on Exeter's league position? Who are the Marmite men in the squad? And what are the team struggling to do (for example, scoring goals), or what do they do well? How do the team generally play under Tisdale? (Sorry for mountain of questions, hopefully I don't come across as too rude)

What are finances like, and are there any stadium redevelopment plans being thought about? I remember seeing Exeter sold a player about a year back for a nice amount of money, how is that helping the club?

Oh, and what do Devon locals think of the Armed Forces that are based there? Are we completely out of hand getting too drunk, or does nobody really care about them.

(Thanks in advance) :)
--------------------------------

So hopefully when I come down later this year I can get to as many games as possible, and start supporting Exeter, and although Brighton will always be my first team , I hope Exeter becomes a close second. (Nothing can take away my GREAT childhood memories of Withdean (oh, and sorry for that appalling away end 100 yards from the pitch we made you sit in))

Hopefully I've got everything. I usually miss something when I write something like this. Sorry for the massive wall of text.

Last edited:

grecian55

Hello Mate ,Look forward to seeing you at SJP and if you are coming along then bring your mates on your intake with you ,the more the merrier and you will of course see a proper football ground unlike that Lego ground you watch at now :p Up the City !

Hello Mate ,Look forward to seeing you at SJP and if you are coming along then bring your mates on your intake with you ,the more the merrier and you will of course see a proper football ground unlike that Lego ground you watch at now :p Up the City !
Yeah thanks! I'll try to bring people who I'm with, although some half-alive B******* won't like football, and others would only care about the Premier League. But I'll see what I can do!

unlike that Lego ground
LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU.

Although in fairness, it is a lot better than the Withdean, and we get lovely cushioned seats! The football hasn't been great this year, but hey, that's football.

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
Royal (potentially), here's the views of a well known born again Grecian. Once bitten forever smitten, be warned. :D

[video=youtube;Y9-jEfU9Gfo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9-jEfU9Gfo[/video]

Avening Posse

Hi Brighton, on the pub front we are rather spoilt. I quite like the Bowling Green (under 5 mins from the ground), the Vic (also close), and Henry's bar (a bit further but still under 10 mins walk). I'm a "tinter" and am very optimistic for next season, so I reckon you have timed it just right :)

iscalad

Lympstone commando is on the direct line to St. James Park. Trains run approx every 30 minutes and are cheap. Drink at the club, we need every penny.

Drink at the club, we need every penny.
What's the finances like? Is the club on a semi-stable footing? But judging by your words it's not at all.

iscalad

Depending who you believe, we are either the richest club in the country or in a huge financial hole. I think we are ok-ish. More money is always welcome, no sugar daddy down here.

Grecian O'Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Pretty sure we only (publicly) took out one.

That was in pre season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty sure we only (publicly) took out one.

That was in pre season.
I take you as being correct GOG. There was, I believe a threat of a further visit to the PFA but the Grimes transfer put and end to that.

Brightonian in Exile. We live hand to mouth. We get £100k per annum from The Trust but rely much too much on our gate receipts. Managing the cash flow is possibly a week by week challenge.

Last edited: