• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Broadband Provider

AndyB

OK, I know that this will probably trigger lots of responses saying how crap certain Broadband providers are, but I will very soon be looking to set up a broadband service.

It doesn't have to be mega fast, but affordable and reliable would be nice. :)

Any suggestions?

Mr Jan Yeo

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm with BT, doesn't seem to drop out but goes very slowly at peak times. Can't remember what it costs but with the phone and the right sort of packages it can be could.

ECFC '72

Laughing at the people showing their true colours
VirginMedia, especially as you'll be a new customer, so you'll get the good prices. (Not like me, who has been with them since the Eurobell days. Mind you, it has it's advantages.)

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
Tiscali are good for me.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Don't go anywhere near Talk Talk.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I think Orange should be added to the avoid at all costs list. I believe they have been buying up some small and very good ISPs and screwing their customers up big time, don't have the technical staff in their call centres to help either.

CC

Your location is down as Bilbao, Spain. Surely that will influence your decision?!

AndyB

Your location is down as Bilbao, Spain. Surely that will influence your decision?!
Oops.

Now updated. :)

Incontinentia

Virgin is the best by miles in terms of speed because it's cable.

Sky are quite good and can be good value as a package if you take the TV. Oddly, I understand Sky tends to work better if you live near a river or canal (as their core network is on towpaths due to a deal with British Waterways years back).

Plusnet are meant to be quite good.

Tiscali is probably the worst one both in terms of performance (according to Ofcom) and customer service (according to me and a few others too).

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
It doesn't have to be mega fast, but affordable and reliable would be nice. :)

Any suggestions?
Just offer to help one of your neighbours set up their nice new wireless router - AND LEAVE THE SECURITY SWITCHED OF!!

Simples [y]