• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Budget 2020-21

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
It seems to me that the budget is currently "frozen" in terms of what we are already committed to spend (IE those already under contract). Matt is waiting for the club to finalise the actual budget but is not expecting much more leeway, so just the one or two unless he can get creative and free up some budget. Frozen probably wasn't the best term to use in this case as most would take it to mean "stays the same from last season".

I guess the club are waiting to hear what is happening in order to set the said budget. They can't very well commit to much more than they have without key information available about income. It could well be a movable beast depending on when and how supporters are let back in to grounds. If that is the case, they need to give the transfer window a break until things get back to somewhere near normal as clubs might well be able to increase budgets with many players available but the transfer window closed.
I think you're probably right when you say that, in this instance, 'frozen' means, as of now, Matt has no money available, though, clearly, that situation may improve a little as and when we know more about how next season is set to pan out.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
A budget takes into account estimated outgoings and an estimation of income. Since the latter is impossible to do, I imagine they mean that any decision on what the budget should be has been "frozen" and we'll just have to pay our way and survive until the covid situation becomes clearer - whenever that may be

A Slacker

I think the OP completely misreads the position and MT’s comment about the budget being ‘frozen’ . What MT was told was that he couldn’t make any new commitments to anyone. There is no way we would be able to afford last year’s budget. Remember we were budgeted to lose 600 k last season. At present we have had no income from games for three months and lost a quarter of the income from home games by having the last five home games cancelled. We have no idea when we will have crowds back to SJP

MT has said he doesn’t yet know what the budget he will eventually be given but IIRC hopes to make ‘one or two‘ signings. He has warned we will have to rely more on youngsters and that next season will be of transition and that we are unlikely to be able to challenge as much as this season.

MT has tried to rejig his remaining budget a bit by getting rid of Steve Hale as goalkeeping coach. That is where we are; unable to offer anything to anyone out of contract and cutting jobs elsewhere.
Is Steve Hale back? He is listed as GK coach on the official site.

StudentGrecian

Is Steve Hale back? He is listed as GK coach on the official site.
He updated his LinkedIn 6 days ago saying he is still looking for work so I guess we are still operating without a goalkeeping coach.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
He updated his LinkedIn 6 days ago saying he is still looking for work so I guess we are still operating without a goalkeeping coach.
Whatever we're doing seems to be working, given how well Lewis Ward is playing at the moment.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
Whatever we're doing seems to be working, given how well Lewis Ward is playing at the moment.
Richard Brown from the Academy, is fulfilling the role of first team Goalkeeper Coach. I don't think there are any plans to bring in another coach in this area.

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Probably be best if the club got Covid, all games off until crowds are allowed back and we can make some money out of the games.

Average Joe

With the playing budget cap in league two set at 1.75ml a year I do not see why we can not compete in player wages and match any squad. We just have to utilize our contacts. The likes of knowing Alex Inglethorpe well and using our youth academy as an example why clubs should be loaning to us. We should have no issue with our squad,

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
With the playing budget cap in league two set at 1.75ml a year I do not see why we can not compete in player wages and match any squad. We just have to utilize our contacts. The likes of knowing Alex Inglethorpe well and using our youth academy as an example why clubs should be loaning to us. We should have no issue with our squad,
Some might argue that we don't have a problem with our squad.