• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 229 59.9%
  • Out

Votes: 153 40.1%

• Total voters

richard_portland

Very well known Exeweb poster
Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
I think probably every other club in the 92 would have sacked him rightly or wrongly. I did have sympathy for him given our number of injuries and he comes across much better than Tisdale ever did(whose biggest failing was not being able to admit that sometimes we played badly, with uninspiring tactics that on occasion was down to him) obviously good spells in his time but he used to do my head in.

I did feel however that we might never get out the hole given our lack of potency upfront and being quite good at missing the chances we did make, but really glad now that a change didn’t happen. I think a huge moment was the penalty save at end of Wycombe game. Would have been a hammer blow to unjustly drop two points in that way when we were so desperate for a victory.

still plenty of work to do given that fairly recently(post Cambridge) things were looking very dicey, but with much more competition in the squad and at last a strong bench we really should be looking to get the required number of points without thinking about how the other sides do. There are a number of perfectly winnable games to come, and having won a couple/few games that we didn’t expect should give us loads of confidence.

it’s great to enjoy a Saturday evening without thinking about inevitable relegation.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's the Sinisalo "show reel" all over again!
The Sinisalo ‘show reel’ was a bit different. Can’t remember too many people saying we shouldn’t have signed him, just that, on the evidence of the aforementioned showreel, he didn’t exactly cover himself in glory at Burton - dare say he would admit as much himself.

Antony Moxey

Quite. But what we do know is that a new man would have come at a not insignificant cost, so, on balance, I think it’s fair to give the board a bit if credit for holding their nerve.
It’s isn’t. The board deserve no credit whatsoever, and saying they held their nerve implies some form of spine - that they never put out any sort of statement to say they weren’t sacking him because they had every confidence in him screams that. All you can confidently attribute to the board is that they did the equivalent of closing their eyes, putting their fingers in their ears and shouting lalalalalala every time the manager’s name was mentioned.

Mr Jinx

‘Have’ Creds. Not ‘of’. ‘Have’. HAVE. HAVE.
There are four types of people in this world:

1) Ones that say "would have".
2) Ones that say "would of"
3) Those that get really bothered by 2)s
4) Those that couldn't give two hoots

grecIAN Harris

The Sinisalo ‘show reel’ was a bit different. Can’t remember too many people saying we shouldn’t have signed him, just that, on the evidence of the aforementioned showreel, he didn’t exactly cover himself in glory at Burton - dare say he would admit as much himself.
I might be wrong but you might want to have a look at the Torquay match thread before resting on that comment.

STURTZ

Quite. But what we do know is that a new man would have come at a not insignificant cost, so, on balance, I think it’s fair to give the board a bit if credit for holding their nerve.
Exactly, we were told we had enough money to replace Caldwell which leads me to wonder what that figure was estimated at? We're not just talking GCs compo here, we're talking replacing all his back room staff, bringing in new players, possibly changing elements of the infrastructure, searching for and interviewing new candidates. I reckon about a million? and still not necessarily finding success. As I said on many occasions the only thing this "poll" proves is that Fans should never be allowed any where near the boardroom.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Delighted? perhaps not.

Promising start. Yes.
If you're not sure if you like 21 points in 10 games for Exeter City in league one, I'm not sure where you're setting your expectations.

Antony Moxey

Exactly, we were told we had enough money to replace Caldwell which leads me to wonder what that figure was estimated at? We're not just talking GCs compo here, we're talking replacing all his back room staff, bringing in new players, possibly changing elements of the infrastructure, searching for and interviewing new candidates. I reckon about a million? and still not necessarily finding success. As I said on many occasions the only thing this "poll" proves is that Fans should never be allowed any where near the boardroom.
They are though, aren’t they? Who do you think make up our club and Trust boards?

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
They are though, aren’t they? Who do you think make up our club and Trust boards?
Not THAT type of fan. The bad ones

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
If you're not sure if you like 21 points in 10 games for Exeter City in league one, I'm not sure where you're setting your expectations.
More to the point, 21 points from 10 games having gone three months without a win!