• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 229 59.9%
  • Out

Votes: 153 40.1%

• Total voters

Pobbop

Cheltenham did. Perhaps they're better than us, or more of draw to higher quality managers. 🙄
They're clearly not better than us, look at the table, picking out one who are still 5 points of escaping, without mentioning the many others seems odd though.

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
They're clearly not better than us, look at the table, picking out one who are still 5 points of escaping, without mentioning the many others seems odd though.
You think? Art said that no-one was available that would have changed our fortunes. I pointed out a manager that would have, and did, change fortunes. Cheltenham aren't out of the woods, by a long shot, but they weren't even at the race until October. They gave everyone else a two month head start.

I'm glad GC has turned results around. Suggesting that there wasn't any other available manager, with the capability to do so, is revisionist nonsense.

Memphis09

I'm happy with the resilience, effort and togetherness the squad have shown when other squads would have irretrievably fallen apart during that run.
Keeping that and putting it to good use now is a management / coaching plus for me.

I don't expect swaggering performances over the full 90 because we still have a job to do over the next few matches.
Very good post

Memphis09

You didn’t go to Barnsley then? First half was one of the best displays I’ve seen from City in my 44 years of following.
I was there and totally agree
Brilliant performance and shows what we can do when we have a fully fit squad
Plus since that game the subs that came on have not even made the match day squad
Shows strength in depth

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
"We were really depleted and had to dig in as a football club, and that includes the board, staff and players sticking together,"

Pointedly omitted the fans.

The issue for me is … when the board, staff and players are all clearly pulling together to get us out of a rut, and it was clear, what makes some ‘supporters’ think they know better ? It’s arrogance !

STURTZ

Sacking Caldwell would have set us back ten years. Probably would have got Kev Nicholson in until that fell apart. Some failure would eventually have been elected, the fan base would still be divided, we'd be in league 2 next season. The Trust would be declared weak and ineffective, City would go back to being a bottom end league team.

Bridgy 81

We’re currently at the identical place in the league now as we were last season after the same number of games.
We lost almost 50% of our best team last summer and have had an injury crisis since.
And we’re still bobbing around our highest ever league position.
I reckon we’re doing ok and I for one am enjoying it.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
We’re currently at the identical place in the league now as we were last season after the same number of games.
We lost almost 50% of our best team last summer and have had an injury crisis since.
And we’re still bobbing around our highest ever league position.
I reckon we’re doing ok and I for one am enjoying it.
Yes we're doing OK. Doing OK is a lot more enjoyable than doing REALLY badly. But it's not great like some on here would have us believe.

Antony Moxey

Sacking Caldwell would have set us back ten years. Probably would have got Kev Nicholson in until that fell apart. Some failure would eventually have been elected, the fan base would still be divided, we'd be in league 2 next season. The Trust would be declared weak and ineffective, City would go back to being a bottom end league team.
In your opinion. There’s not a single fact in any of that.

Antony Moxey

Are you really suggesting that in late November we'd have found a competent manager who would have transformed our fortunes? And presumably, you'd have wanted them to completely change the tactics and playing style - how long would that have taken to bear fruit? I very much doubt we'd have 39 points by now - we'd be deep in the relegation mire.

As we might have been had GC not turned the tanker round. In which case he would have been let go at the end of the season or earlier if someone credible had been lined up by then. But no-one was likely to be lined up to take over in November/December- that's my point. Sacking him would simply have made a bad situation worse..
Every single word of that is pure opinion.