• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 229 59.9%
  • Out

Votes: 153 40.1%

• Total voters

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Watched that one from my hotel in London as I was quite open about at the time.... I would have attended this p!ss easy away day had I been in the SW.

I'm not sure what your point is here. Are you saying it was a really great performance to scrape a 1-0 at a mid table side?

Or on the wider point, that we've had lots of good performances this year? We haven't. By going in on a macro detail, exeweb's favourite, you deliberately move the goalposts of the conversation. It's a noticeable trend of yours (y)

The next steps of this will be to make it clear that because you existed in person at The Mem, you therefore can tell me mutliple reasons for GC's and the teams brilliance that night

I saw with my own eyes that we had one good half in difficult conditions. Rovers didn't adapt as well and we got the win.

A week or so later they deservedly took the points, wind free.

A few good moments here and there doesn't make for a fun season, sorry.

So again... what is you actual point? Beyond Rovers being windy.
I think the general point was it was always going to be a game of two halves because of the weather. We, generally, dealt a lot better than Rovers did with the conditions. We played better than Rovers (we tried to play on the deck and move the ball around when the opportunities allowed, all Rovers did was thump it long to little effect) and we deserved the three points which is contrary to what you were suggesting in the previous post

Grecian Max

I think the general point was it was always going to be a game of two halves because of the weather. We, generally, dealt a lot better than Rovers did with the conditions. We played better than Rovers (we tried to play on the deck and move the ball around when the opportunities allowed, all Rovers did was thump it long to little effect) and we deserved the three points which is contrary to what you were suggesting in the previous post
Your reading comprehension is extremely poor, nowhere did I say we didn't deserve the three points.

I also said that Rovers didn't adapt as well (to the conditions), so glad you agree on that point.

And I said we were great in the second half, which again matches with your opening sentence. Rovers second half wasn't great so it really is much of a 90 min match - what I meant by this if you follow the thread is that game was one good half. You've literally put it was a game of two halves.

So, in conclusion, Ian agrees with me :)

Last edited:

Grecian Max

Think it’s a push to suggest that we were fortunate to take all three points at The Mem but Rovers were thoroughly deserving winners at SJP. If we got luck then so did they. And some.
And where have I suggested this? I didn't.

It was a scraped victory, we were good first half with the wind helping, they pinned us back in the second and couldn't adapt as well. 1-0. Wasn't dominant, wasn't free flowing but we scraped past in difficult conditions.

People really need to stop adding a layer of bias when reading posts.

grecIAN Harris

Your reading comprehension is extremely poor, nowhere did I say we didn't deserve the three points.

I also said that Rovers didn't adapt as well (to the conditions), so glad you agree on that point.

And I said we were great in the second half, which again matches with your opening sentence. Rovers second half wasn't great so it really is much of a 90 min match - what I meant by this if you follow the thread is that game was one good half. You've literally put it was a game of two halves.

So, in conclusion, Ian agrees with me :)
Read Eggs post and you'll see where I got that from.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
And where have I suggested this? I didn't.

It was a scraped victory, we were good first half with the wind helping, they pinned us back in the second and couldn't adapt as well. 1-0. Wasn't dominant, wasn't free flowing but we scraped past in difficult conditions.

People really need to stop adding a layer of bias when reading posts.
Your post #7,565. Not sure how else it can be read:
I saw with my own eyes that we had one good half in difficult conditions. Rovers didn't adapt as well and we got the win.

A week or so later they deservedly took the points, wind free.

Alistair20000

Oh that's nice of him "Prepared to drop down to League Two" Would that suddenly make him a good manager?
Typical attitude from someone who has only ever played at the top level.
I doubt even his mate Neville would want him at Salford. He's a poor manager, end of discussion.
Why stop at League 2 ?

Maybe he will rock up at Plainbore

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
To be fair to Rooney.
If you go to the source material instead of being taken in by the headline and phrasing of the Mirror that's not how it comes across at all.
He's responding in a podcast to a question from Gary Neville and being quite self effacing about it.

Wayne Rooney:
I'm right at the bottom from a managerial point of view and I want to work my way up. I'm not relying on what I've done as a player to to to get me into places where I shouldn't be

Gary Neville:
You obviously have taken jobs at, say, Championship level. Would you consider going to League one or going into sort of... ?

Wayne Rooney:

Yeah, 100%, I've said I want to get back into it and want to improve myself and by that to League Two, League One, Championship - it's all experience.

Watch from about 9 minutes in ...

As ever Spoonz makes some good points. Of course, it's all too easy to have a go, especially after the miserable time Rooney had at Birmingham.

Can't find it now [think it may be hidden behind a paywall] but I read a fascinating piece on Rooney in The Times, circa a year ago, in which he came across as a real student of the game who was leaving no stone unturned as he sought to realise his managerial ambitions.

Plainly, his short spell at St Andrews was a disaster but I'm inclined to think that sacking John Eustace when the club was doing well was probably a recipe for disaster and Rooney was almost in a no-win position.

While this Athletic article isn't the one I had in mind, it is, nevertheless, an interesting read: Wayne Rooney, the manager: The challenges he’s faced and what it’s like to play for him - The Athletic

Also, while I appreciate his hand may have been forced to some extent, worth noting that in his 18 months at Derby he gave 25 academy youngsters their first team debuts.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
As ever Spoonz makes some good points. Of course, it's all too easy to have a go, especially after the miserable time Rooney had at Birmingham.

Can't find it now [think it may be hidden behind a paywall] but I read a fascinating piece on Rooney in The Times, circa a year ago, in which he came across as a real student of the game who was leaving no stone unturned as he sought to realise his managerial ambitions.

Plainly, his short spell at St Andrews was a disaster but I'm inclined to think that sacking John Eustace when the club was doing well was probably a recipe for disaster and Rooney was almost in a no-win position.

While this Athletic article isn't the one I had in mind, it is, nevertheless, an interesting read: Wayne Rooney, the manager: The challenges he’s faced and what it’s like to play for him - The Athletic

Also, while I appreciate his hand may have been forced to some extent, worth noting that in his 18 months at Derby he gave 25 academy youngsters their first team debuts.
We should only write him off if he has a succession of unsuccessful spells resulting in sackings at, say, 3 clubs spread around the UK (Wigan, Partick Thistle and Chesterfield, for example).

Grecian Max

Your post #7,565. Not sure how else it can be read:
You are adding a layer of bias onto that, it doesn't say what you're suggesting

Just because I said they deserved the win at SJP (regardless of the dodgy goal), doesn't mean I didn't think we deserved the win at the mem (regardless of the wind)

If we're going to get this forensic about how we put our point across we may as well become peer-reviewed

Last edited:

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
You are adding a layer of bias onto that, it doesn't say what you're suggesting

Just because I said they deserved the win at SJP (regardless of the dodgy goal), doesn't mean I didn't think we deserved the win at the mem (regardless of the wind)

If we're going to get this forensic about how we put our point across we may as well become peer-reviewed
I think I probably agree with the majority of the stuff you write on here and it really wasn't my intention to 'get forensic'. However, on this occasion, they way it read to me [at least] was that you thought City had been a shade lucky in the away game, whereas Rovers ran out thoroughly deserved winners at SJP. If you say this wasn't the case then fair enough.