• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 229 59.9%
  • Out

Votes: 153 40.1%

• Total voters

milts

I think most people largely know my opinions on Caldwell and I Have said, despite conceding after our fantastic start, that the board would need to act quickly and decisively if it is going wrong. For me we have 2 games to get 4 points, anything less than this means the question seriously has to be asked and potentially enacted upon. For me GC Has 2 games to save his job.

But the real question is how we got here. I think everyone including myself forgave the 6 straight defeats last season, because we could all quite clearly see the complexity of the sides we played along with the serious injury issues we had which presented itself.

This season following a fantastic start, we have come unstuck, for a number of reasons, Injuries, failure to secure 2 strikers when Nombe left and our overall pattern of play being way to easy to play against, under GC we simply score less goals, that isn't just against difficulty of opposition now, that is entrenched with our style and Philosophy of play. When we play well, our style of play is amazing to watch, no one can deny that, but on the opposite end, when it isn't working it is appalling to watch and frustrating and also massively reliant on keeping clean sheets. GC unlike Tis has nothing in the bank to buy him time with the majority of the fanbase, which is why we are seeing a large number of people wanting him out.

The real question is, Whom is at fault for this issue.

1. The Trust and board, not investing sufficiently. (Although we did sign 3 additional players outside of the window when the injury issues started to hit, but we didn't get 2 strikers in to replace Nombe)
2. GC for not utilising his budget in accordance with what we needed and securing the right players early enough
3. Tactics, failure to adapt, to change games (Links into Injuries, transfer window)
4. Bad luck
5. A combination of all the above

Please feel free to add reasons to the above list

I personally feel the issues here are a combination of all of the above. But the biggest issues imho is failure to adapt tactically and the fact we failed to sign a striker.

GC has 2 games, to get 4 points. Less than this leaves serious questions and whether GC Will become the first firing of our trust era. It feels to me, like we cannot wait another 10 games if we keep losing in the hope it turns around.

Defeat on Saturday would mean 15 defeats in 22 league matches. Irrespective of reasoning that just simply isn't good enough.
14 defeats in 21 is shocking.

No point sacking him, it is his squad I can’t see another Manager and get them playing any better, we have been sussed out in this League, he needs to come up with more options, lack of a CF is problem, also we are too lightweight in midfield, Sweeney needs to be captain alongside Fiztwater and Hartridge, need to get Muskwe up to speed quickly, he was poor last Saturday

citydrinker

2 minute hobble from the nearest pub. Or in it.
According to the Grecian Archive, our longest ever consecutive League losing streak is 7 in early 1984. I hope we aren't witnessing history in the making (as I did way back then).

Leads

No point sacking him, it is his squad I can’t see another Manager and get them playing any better, we have been sussed out in this League, he needs to come up with more options, lack of a CF is problem, also we are too lightweight in midfield, Sweeney needs to be captain alongside Fiztwater and Hartridge, need to get Muskwe up to speed quickly, he was poor last Saturday
I've not made or watched every game, but Aimson to me has definitely looked our most solid defender, especially in the middle. I'm not sure dropping him should be a priority and I think giving the captaincy back to Sweeney wouldn't achieve anything, although i disagreed with the decision of giving it to him in the first instance...

scottus86

There's not a manager, living or dead, that will get us 5 points from our next 3 games.
Sorry, should have said league games. I'm sure it's fun being pedantic, but we all know you don't get points for a cup game.

Memphis09

I also think that Tis did not have the budget to spend on players. The philosophy at the time seemed to be to develop the players we had, and reward the manager with a half decent wage....
Yes just remember what league we were in
Smaller crowds so a lot less income

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
If he's recruitment has been that bad, how could we entrust him with our funds for another transfer window?

Spireitein peace

You were warned….get rid guys before he takes you down!

If he's recruitment has been that bad, how could we entrust him with our funds for another transfer window?
I think he has done as well as he can with the limited resources, my point is that this is the squad we now have and I don’t think another manager would do any better with the players that Caldwell has chosen to work with, I was at the last two games and saw how poorly we played, it’s delusional to think we are going to get first pick of players available

Also just a reminder, the other Managers that were in the mix when GC was appointed were Jody Morris, sacked by Swindon and Dean Holden sacked by Charlton