• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 229 59.9%
  • Out

Votes: 153 40.1%

• Total voters

cullbaggie

I think the worst thing we have done is put the kids out against Reading and suffer such a heavy defeat! it puts doubt throughout the whole squad that the players they are seeing in training everyday are not good enough to replace any players that suffer injuries and i wont have to try as hard to stay in the team...and ever since that defeat we have been on the downward spiral that we cannot put the brake on.
once confidence is on the floor, it takes an almighty effort to bring it back
Sometimes sacking of the manager gives a confidence bounce, but in this case i think we have the best man for our club

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think the worst thing we have done is put the kids out against Reading and suffer such a heavy defeat! it puts doubt throughout the whole squad that the players they are seeing in training everyday are not good enough to replace any players that suffer injuries and i wont have to try as hard to stay in the team...and ever since that defeat we have been on the downward spiral that we cannot put the brake on.
once confidence is on the floor, it takes an almighty effort to bring it back
Sometimes sacking of the manager gives a confidence bounce, but in this case i think we have the best man for our club
Nonsense. We beat Luton 7 days later

Grecian Max

Nonsense. We beat Luton 7 days later
10 games prior to the 9-0: 7 goals conceded in 10 games

10 games after: 21 goals conceded

This doesn't include the 9 goals, or the additional 5 we've conceded since

Although only some first teamers played in that game (Jules and Fitzwater the defenders), I don't think it was good for defensive confidence.

Grecian Max

Listened to the Where's the Money podcast over lunch which features Taggy

Some concerns from that, 1) I think they will 100% bite the bullet too late and 2) He almost slipped in what he was going to say: "Our job [as a board] is to make sure we do the right thing, not what the fans necessarily... [think we should do - he didn't say this but was about to IMO]" - this was in relation to an example where in our 8th placed season we "went again" (I mean did we? Really? We didn't go crazy in that summer I didn't think with signings) and instead we should have "started again" which presumably meant meekly accepting League 2 football again.

He was pretty up front about playing it safe (literally said it) - I can definitely see us going down and retaining his services

Crikey

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Taggy is also going to appear on the My New Football Club podcast next week, that'll hopefully be interesting although both David and Jon absolutely love Caldwell (because they know him personally now).

Memphis09

Listened to the Where's the Money podcast over lunch which features Taggy

Some concerns from that, 1) I think they will 100% bite the bullet too late and 2) He almost slipped in what he was going to say: "Our job [as a board] is to make sure we do the right thing, not what the fans necessarily... [think we should do - he didn't say this but was about to IMO]" - this was in relation to an example where in our 8th placed season we "went again" (I mean did we? Really? We didn't go crazy in that summer I didn't think with signings) and instead we should have "started again" which presumably meant meekly accepting League 2 football again.

He was pretty up front about playing it safe (literally said it) - I can definitely see us going down and retaining his services

Crikey
Not listened to it
But from your comments it sounds very negative and a big step backwards

Snakebite

Well-known Exeweb poster
Taggy is also going to appear on the My New Football Club podcast next week, that'll hopefully be interesting although both David and Jon absolutely love Caldwell (because they know him personally now).
And Jon is the ultimate brown nosing sycophant of course.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm not sure a change of manager at this stage would give us more hope of avoiding relegation. It's GC's players and a new manager and new tactics might take a lot of time, by which time its too late. However, I also appreciate that if we keep up this current run of form it will also be too late pretty quickly. Conclusion, we're doomed and heading for L2 but I think our best hope is sticking with GC and hoping we can somehow pick up enough points to narrowly avoid the drop.

Grecian Max

In fairness he's very candid in it and I do like him - I just don't align with some of his thinking. Being patient and going slower is all good, but not to the point of being ineffectual or hesitating

Comments around saying no to potential investors is for a different thread but it does seem to be we are the closed shop I thought we were (and get told regularly this isn't the case and no one is interested in City....)

Boyo

10 games prior to the 9-0: 7 goals conceded in 10 games

10 games after: 21 goals conceded

This doesn't include the 9 goals, or the additional 5 we've conceded since

Although only some first teamers played in that game (Jules and Fitzwater the defenders), I don't think it was good for defensive confidence.
I think the team selection for the JPT game was driven by the fact we'd just lost Rankine and Niskanen to injuries, Atchison was already out, Muskwe had a knock at Burton and several other players were still building up fitness (Watts, Wildchut etc).