• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 229 59.9%
  • Out

Votes: 153 40.1%

• Total voters

rifraf

I haven't been to many Games this year as I'm still knocking the ball about myself and playing vets.

What's the atmosphere like inside the ground? Many moan and groans about GC
Well, there's a question with an answer that might be contentious to many. I have always been somewhat baffled by GC's praise for our supporters at home? Our AWAY fans are generally brilliant I think (hands up, I only make about 25% of journeys though - and usually brilliantly behaved).

But I have regularly been embarrassed by our home support which is frequently poor...... especially in the Big Bank. As a season ticket holder I sit in Block C of the Adam Stansfield stand. Throughout the Fleetwood game there was always lod noise from the 99 fans in the away end..... with a drum AWAYS beating. I caught myself a few times in the game glancing at the BB to see if anybody was awake; talk about graveyard atmosphere. Now to be fair, there wasn't much to cheer about - especially in the 2nd half - but, at a time the team needed encouragement, it was sadly missing ........... in fairness, all round the ground.

I've often thought lately that in recent times our home support is one of the worst in the top 92 clubs.

Sorry, that's just the way I see (hear) it lately.

@Exiled_Grecian

27 goals in 36 games
50 conceded

It’s been w@nk

Why would I dislike Caldwell personally? Makes no sense, he’s just another bloke in the dugout. Seems like a nice guy, his football has been overall poor in terms of creating and finishing goals, the whole point of the sport

You can talk and talk and talk and give all these reasons as to why you think people should back him. Doesn’t make a difference because the core product is cr@p, particularly at home
Where have I disagreed that the goal return is poor? Either read people's posts properly or don't engage with them, otherwise you just make yourself look a little silly.

Well obviously you don't like him being our manager do you otherwise you wouldn't want him out :LOL:.

Where have I said that people shouldn't question some aspects of his management?

I don't really know why you seem to get so triggered by someone having a completely different opinion to you on something, and explaining their reasons why, that you have to try and mock people's opinions as a way of one-upmanship, just comes across unnecessarily combative or salty.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Where have I disagreed that the goal return is poor? Either read people's posts properly or don't engage with them, otherwise you just make yourself look a little silly.

Well obviously you don't like him being our manager do you otherwise you wouldn't want him out :LOL:.

Where have I said that people shouldn't question some aspects of his management?

I don't really know why you seem to get so triggered by someone having a completely different opinion to you on something, and explaining their reasons why, that you have to try and mock people's opinions as a way of one-upmanship, just comes across unnecessarily combative or salty.
An entire paragraph dedicated to being triggered, a psychologist would have a field day 😂

Not wanting him to be our manager is different to “not liking him” as you originally put, I reckon you ought to focus on your communication skills before getting heated over your nerdy posts not quite hitting

The issue with what you’re trying to do in your lengthly sermons is you’re trying to positively spin the unspinnable - you want to “prove” people wrong who are sitting and watching game after game where we don’t create chances, are plodding and a boring watch

That is the reality

You're absolutely right on 'poor finishing'. I was very optimistic on the loan signing of Mo Eisa but to date he's disappointed . Is this due to lack of fitness or something else?
I was as well, got good pedigree at this level and would surely love to earn a contract back at this level. I'd argue a mix of a few things - I do think he looks like he's lacking a bit of sharpness, which was evidenced against Derby where he got behind their backline a few times, but then didn't seem to drive towards goal with intent.

I also think he looks like he's lacking a bit of confidence - had a perfect opportunity to get a shot away right at the end of the first half vs Fleetwood, yet took 4/5 touches then elected to try and pass - not what a usual, confident Mo Eisa would do I would wager.

Then I'd hope he is just taking some time adjusting to our team, if it's bigger than that then that would be a worry.

Grecian Max

I was as well, got good pedigree at this level and would surely love to earn a contract back at this level. I'd argue a mix of a few things - I do think he looks like he's lacking a bit of sharpness, which was evidenced against Derby where he got behind their backline a few times, but then didn't seem to drive towards goal with intent.

I also think he looks like he's lacking a bit of confidence - had a perfect opportunity to get a shot away right at the end of the first half vs Fleetwood, yet took 4/5 touches then elected to try and pass - not what a usual, confident Mo Eisa would do I would wager.

Then I'd hope he is just taking some time adjusting to our team, if it's bigger than that then that would be a worry.
Eisa isn’t getting enough time on the pitch, that’s on the manager

Boyo

The issue with what you’re trying to do in your lengthly sermons is you’re trying to positively spin the unspinnable - you want to “prove” people wrong who are sitting and watching game after game where we don’t create chances, are plodding and a boring watch

That is the reality
The two biggest innovations in football over the past dozen or so years, which has really ramped up in the lower leagues in the last few years, is the use of data and the quality of the pitches.

The consequences of those two innovations have lead to lots of teams playing possession based, stats led football. Man City are the absolute epitome of that. They will dominate the ball, grind you down and be totally relentless. Watching them play, for me, is like watching a chess match. You can see them trying to work out the angles, find the space and deliver pin-point perfect passes. They have world class players all over the pitch and therefore can do this well. Personally I enjoy watching it, but I know plenty of people find it boring.

Most teams play that kind of football, including in L1, but clearly with far inferior players and that leads to frustration. I posted earlier about Peterborough fans moaning about playing out from the back. I thought they were excellent.

The FA are encouraging grassroots coaches to play high possession football.

Even if Caldwell left tomorrow, there's a good chance that any new manager would employ similar tactics.

Football has changed. That is the reality.

TotnesGrecian

When we were going through similar stuff with Tis there were banners and planned protests to get him out of the job , Are people not allowed to do similar within the ground nowadays or are the noisy ones content to leave him on the comfy chair with no fear of backlash from the BB ?
As far as I'm aware, people with banners for exactly this have been removed or threatened with removal from the ground in recent weeks/months.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Luckily that stats I presented don't cover the pace of sideways passes as input into the m/s stat then isn't it. The DS m/s is an indicator of how quickly a team, on average, moves the ball upfield. Hence why it can broadly be used to inference a teams 'style of play' - slow and technical v fast and direct.
Define upfield.

Also...are there stats that show how often a chance is created after moving the ball quickly upfield? We might move it quickly upfield but we also move it quickly downfield too.

Last edited:

grecIAN Harris

The authors of coaching manuals have taken over football.

And not for the better.
Once upon a long ago the same thing was being said about the ball game. There was somebody's name associated to it but his name escapes me at the moment. He wasn't a manager but someone to do with the FA.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Once upon a long ago the same thing was being said about the ball game. There was somebody's name associated to it but his name escapes me at the moment. He wasn't a manager but someone to do with the FA.
Charles Hughes?

1852915455.jpg