• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 228 59.7%
  • Out

Votes: 154 40.3%

• Total voters

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Personally I like him
He talks sense that Matt Taylor ever did
In my opinion I think we can push on next season with the correct additions to the squad
He has brought him some players that have definitely improved the squad
Well done to him for raiding the non league market and get those players in
UTC
I like HIM, seems a great bloke, speaks well, comes across like a really good guy. My point was that it feels like he's a small bad run away from fans turning on him again.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
I like HIM, seems a great bloke, speaks well, comes across like a really good guy. My point was that it feels like he's a small bad run away from fans turning on him again.
It's about how well the team are doing and how much credit you've got in the bank. The personal stuff completely depends on how well we're doing. In the autumn we were abysmal and GC had zero credit banked and came in to a reasonable level of skepticism to begin with. He's not got a promotion, which is the real thing that would earn patience, but he's proved he can take a struggling side and put a run together.

Lets be honest, the autumn wasn't a small bad run. There's no track record that's going to galvanise a fan base for that kind of thing without exceptional circumstances.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Had we lost yesterday there would still be some calling for his head now, saying square pegs in round holes etc.

If we look at the season as a whole its been quite successful, certainly adequate. GC definitely deserves more time. Fingers crossed that next season we can avoid a 3 month dip in form and really push on. We're not ready for the Championship anyway so it's probably not a bad thing that we're midtable.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Had we lost yesterday there would still be some calling for his head now, saying square pegs in round holes etc.
There will always be the odd eccentric, but by and large, people will want rid of the manager if we're consistently awful and want to stick with the manager if we're doing OK. The Exeweb mood fluctuates more violently perhaps, but I don't think a defeat yesterday wouldve made a massive difference to peoples views, which are now overwhelmingly supportive, after the team have proved themselves down the back end of the season. A 13 game winless run, well, that's another thing.

dontpassback

I like Gary Caldwell,despite the chesterfield fans telling us all about the doom and gloom,he has made some excellent transfer signings,with people like alli etc and young Harris,he tends to say what he thinks which is quite refreshing,and despite a really bad run,he has turned it around and produced a team that never knows when it is beaten,so all in all I think the future is bright !

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yes, we all know what the Chesterfield fans think of GC.

Here’s what a former Chesterfield player thinks of him - an experienced stalwart of the club - Sam Hird. Interesting stuff. From minute 53:00.

Radio Free Skaro

If we look at the season as a whole its been quite successful, certainly adequate. GC definitely deserves more time. Fingers crossed that next season we can avoid a 3 month dip in form and really push on. We're not ready for the Championship anyway so it's probably not a bad thing that we're midtable.
It's been more than adequate - its been one of the more successful seasons in the club's history.

Last edited:

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's been more than adequate - its been one of the more successful seasons in the club's history.
Currently, off the field we are much more successful than all of our history so these more successful seasons should be happening more regularly now.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Not sure about that, essentially a dead rubber giving a lot fringe players a run out, no ones kicking off about that if we had lost

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Season is over now, I wouldn't have moaned if we lost yesterday and lost our last 2. Job is done.