• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Character

The Doctor

I’m usually a major optimist when it comes to all things City but our current malaise has tempted me out of lurksville. So, please be gentle if you find this rambling nonsense!

I know there are many issues concerning people at the moment, several I find, frankly insane. I’m a huge Tis fan and after Sir Scott of Hiley he’s my biggest city hero ever. I know that will have the morons reaching for the vom bucket but there you go.

I believe in playing the long game strategically and some people don’t have the stomach for that. The suggestion that Tis is playing it safe by staying at City and looking after his mates by giving them huge and inappropriate contracts is the biggest insult for me. His loyalty to this club when his star was at its highest speaks volumes, as he must have known we couldn’t continue to sustain our meteoric rise. Don’t you think he’s frustrated at the limitations he has to work with? I wouldn’t call for his head until we were relegated back to the conference. With him in charge I don’t believe that would ever happen.

However, he has often talked about getting the right players in, unloved elsewhere and in need of polishing and patience but also of the right character. What worries me most right now is that we don’t have much of the right stuff in our senior pros and of course signing these players is Tis’s fault ultimately. While you can coach the right tactics and technique given time, it’s hard to coach character i’d imagine. Youngsters need role models and I just can’t see many at this time. We seem to have several whingeing primadonnas that need to get their heads out of their collective arses. Berating our keepers who are obviously short of confidence (Artur and previously Jones) will only make things worse and the effort and application of key defenders, midfielders and attackers is sadly lacking in players that should be driving us on. Not making less experienced players feel bad about their mistakes.

This is what worries me most about our current squad, not the tactics (square pegs, no pace, etc) or lack of proven quality that we can’t afford. And unless, IMO, our three best players, one in defence, midfield and attack can find a way to lead us out of this, I feel we’re doomed to fail this year. A great shame considering how hard we worked and how close we came to establishing ourselves in league 1.

Am I way off?

rick whitemore

This is a real test of Tisdale's character and management skills, I have no idea whether he will pull the team out of this slump this season or not but I do know that both Tisdale and Exeter City will be a lot better in the long run if he learn's the lesson's from pre season and our poor start.

Poultice

Very well known Exeweb poster
I know that will have the morons reaching for the vom bucket but there you go.
Once again the Toenailer's mantra, if you don't agree with the deification of the Cheese then you're a *****, after that standard line I lost interest in the rest of the post.

Alistair20000

I’m usually a major optimist when it comes to all things City but our current malaise has tempted me out of lurksville. So, please be gentle if you find this rambling nonsense!

I know there are many issues concerning people at the moment, several I find, frankly insane. I’m a huge Tis fan and after Sir Scott of Hiley he’s my biggest city hero ever. I know that will have the morons reaching for the vom bucket but there you go.

I believe in playing the long game strategically and some people don’t have the stomach for that. The suggestion that Tis is playing it safe by staying at City and looking after his mates by giving them huge and inappropriate contracts is the biggest insult for me. His loyalty to this club when his star was at its highest speaks volumes, as he must have known we couldn’t continue to sustain our meteoric rise. Don’t you think he’s frustrated at the limitations he has to work with? I wouldn’t call for his head until we were relegated back to the conference. With him in charge I don’t believe that would ever happen.

However, he has often talked about getting the right players in, unloved elsewhere and in need of polishing and patience but also of the right character. What worries me most right now is that we don’t have much of the right stuff in our senior pros and of course signing these players is Tis’s fault ultimately. While you can coach the right tactics and technique given time, it’s hard to coach character i’d imagine. Youngsters need role models and I just can’t see many at this time. We seem to have several whingeing primadonnas that need to get their heads out of their collective arses. Berating our keepers who are obviously short of confidence (Artur and previously Jones) will only make things worse and the effort and application of key defenders, midfielders and attackers is sadly lacking in players that should be driving us on. Not making less experienced players feel bad about their mistakes.This is what worries me most about our current squad, not the tactics (square pegs, no pace, etc) or lack of proven quality that we can’t afford. And unless, IMO, our three best players, one in defence, midfield and attack can find a way to lead us out of this, I feel we’re doomed to fail this year. A great shame considering how hard we worked and how close we came to establishing ourselves in league 1.

Am I way off?
For the sake of clarity is the bit underlined a dig at the players or some of them ?

The Doctor

Just the senior pros that I believe should be doing more.

As for ********'s predictable dismissal, I don't think he's a deity, we all make mistakes. In fact I was trying to underline his most pertinent current mistake in my opinion.

What has happened at Doncaster sums up all that is wrong in football in my eyes. But that's only my view of course. If you think Tisdale should get the boot as some have stated, then I think you're a *****. I don't think you do though. You just dislike him and always have. I love him for the great times we've had over the past few years, despite his faults.

Simples

Alistair20000

Just the senior pros that I believe should be doing more.

As for ********'s predictable dismissal, I don't think he's a deity, we all make mistakes. In fact I was trying to underline his most pertinent current mistake in my opinion.

What has happened at Doncaster sums up all that is wrong in football in my eyes. But that's only my view of course. If you think Tisdale should get the boot as some have stated, then I think you're a *****. I don't think you do though. You just dislike him and always have. I love him for the great times we've had over the past few years, despite his faults.

Simples
Are you suggesting that I dislike The Cheese and always have ?

Poultice

What has happened at Doncaster sums up all that is wrong in football in my eyes. But that's only my view of course. If you think Tisdale should get the boot as some have stated, then I think you're a *****. I don't think you do though. You just dislike him and always have.
Only a ***** would deny that there could not be a reasonable case made for a change as we sit with 5 points and nearly a quarter of the season gone.

Now make a list of all the posters who have said Cheesy should get the boot, oh, hardly anybody, now there's a surprise, the poster who wants to call others morons can't even read the f*cking thread right.

Mogga

The effort and application of key defenders, midfielders and attackers is sadly lacking in players that should be driving us on... this is what worries me most about our current squad, not the tactics (square pegs, no pace, etc)
Personally I completely disagree. I think you'll be hard-pushed to find an underachieving team in the country which doesn't have fans berating players' effort and application, which I believe to be an easy but oversimplified criticism. On Saturday I saw a team, without individual exception, trying desperately hard to turn things around. On the other hand, I do actually think that the square pegs set-up is one of the problems, as well as the fact the team's structure has been poorly constructed. The team is also bereft of confidence. Another problem has been the lack of creativity and pace in the midfield, but I think Whichelow has shown signs that he may be the man to provide this. I find claims that, for example, Nardiello isn't trying or Noble doesn't care, a bit frustrating as I don't see any evidence of that on the pitch. After all, Harley never tried did he? I see it as an easy way to criticise a failing team which is actually in its position for other more complex reasons.

The Doctor

No alistair, I was talking about ******** never liking Tis. Poults, I was talking about a minority who have never liked Tis and would now sack him given the choice. If you deny their existence there is no debate to be had. The fact you find the word ***** offensive is hilarious. But as you're feeling sensitive I apologise.

The point I was trying to make, I told you it would be rambling, was not that some senior pros were lazy. But that their attitude and leadership were questionable for me. And we really need leaders at the moment to turn it round.

Pete Martin (CTID)

On the subject of senior pros, a defining moment for me was when Sir Rob recently wrote in his column in the Echo that he had no problem with fans giving players stick and booing when they are under performing and felt in that scenario players deserve what they get.

That comment seemed so juxtaposed to what Tis and SP have often said that, for me, it showed a very different kind of outlook and attitude.