• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cheick Diabate

ryancooper327

And he'll be 23 and a half if he leaves at the end of 24/25 so we'll still get compo (I think...)

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
This is extremely good news.

Unlike 12 months ago, there is a very solid base to build from. Now, if we could sign Ryan Woods, and he could sign one of his shirts and send it to me ;) that'd be just grand.

Bridgy 81

Brilliant and what I’d hoped for.
A pure central defender to complement all of our existing ball playing ones.
I would have added at least a further year option (in our favour) at the end as well.
But hopefully (if Cheick and his people agreed) it’s there anyway and we just haven’t been told.
To be fair I expect the club realize that we aren’t able to take in too much good news in a short space of time.

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
Good news to have a settled back line for next season already.I 'm possibly being too greedy ,but I was hoping for a two year extension.Might be another clause after 24/25 though.

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
Great news, being coached and managed by 2 top central defenders in his time here can only help Cheick's continuing development. Wise lad !

Rosencrantz

I would have added at least a further year option (in our favour) at the end as well.
But hopefully (if Cheick and his people agreed) it’s there anyway and we just haven’t been told.
To be fair I expect the club realize that we aren’t able to take in too much good news in a short space of time.
I think it is being a bit canny with Cheick's age. As stated above, Cheick will be 23 at the end of the contract so if we do offer a new multi year contract next season, it gives us a chance of compensation if Cheick turns it down.

With The Judge hopefully signing a new contract (preferably) or the club taking the option on it, we are very well set for centre backs next season. All adding to a much better base to work from than this time last year.

Mid Devon Grecian

@ryancooper327 mentioned that Cheick will be 23 and a half at the end of this one year extension which was triggered by the club not Cheick. We’d therefore be entitled to compo if he left at the end of next season.

His people are unlikely to have advised him to give another option for the club to extend. He’s not an automatic first choice and I’m sure they and a new club would feel optimistic that a Tribunal fee wouldn’t be too expensive.

On the other hand they can keep their options open and if there’s no sniff of interest towards the end of next season hope we offer him a new contract.

I reckon the lad will be wanting to be first choice somewhere before too long. Not sure that would be in GCs plans. Aimson’s only 27, Fitzwater younger again.

Mid Devon Grecian

I think it is being a bit canny with Cheick's age. As stated above, Cheick will be 23 at the end of the contract so if we do offer a new multi year contract next season, it gives us a chance of compensation if Cheick turns it down.

With The Judge hopefully signing a new contract (preferably) or the club taking the option on it, we are very well set for centre backs next season. All adding to a much better base to work from than this time last year.
See my post after yours. I just don’t think a Tribunal would buy that unless GC makes him first choice next season. Why would we be offering a huge new deal to him if he’s not even first choice.

I think they’d see it for what it is, a slightly cynical attempt to bid up his value.

Red red

Excellent news for a Wednesday

grecIAN Harris

Solid enough squad signing. There will always be games, in part or whole, when we're going to need some Old Skool Chieck defending but if he has ambitions of becoming a first team regular then he is going to have to step up the possession side of his game massively. Some will scoff but the simple facts are Caldwell plays a possession based game. Every one of our other defenders, as defenders go, are comfortable on the ball and are capable playing the way required.