• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cheifs lost

Woodsy

I can sort of back up what brumgrecian is saying. 7 years ago when i was playing u14 rugby, the Cheifs a few times they tried unsuccessfully tapping up a couple of our players. But they did bring in a few players from other local clubs and where pretty much unstoppable. The following year the team had a big falling out and they stopped having a youth team at my age group.
As it ended up the main player they where trying to sign from us, now play's for them after joining them through Exeter College.

jambo

Well-known Exeweb poster
allowing a number of key players to go on international duty when you're playing a cup semi final is just simply bad management.
Chiefs had no choice in the matter - when the RFU calls, clubs are obliged to respond. Certainly nothing to do with Drewett...

whoever sanctioned the ridiculous double header in the first place needs to have a word with himself too.
Erm...that would be Tony Rowe. Certainly nothing to do with Drewett...

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
"allowing a number of key players to go on international duty when you're playing a cup semi final is just simply bad management"
Chiefs had no choice in the matter - when the RFU calls, clubs are obliged to respond. Certainly nothing to do with Drewett...

"whoever sanctioned the ridiculous double header in the first place needs to have a word with himself too."
Erm...that would be Tony Rowe. Certainly nothing to do with Drewett...
Are you sure Chiefs had no choice? I ask as I genuinely don't know, and was told - although this could be wrong - that Leeds players were selected too but Leeds said no.

And I never said the sanctioning of the double header was anything to do with Drewett. You can tell that by the addition of the word 'too' on the end of the sentence you quoted.

Brian Moore

Agree - massive opportunity missed and someone had to take the blame. Is Rowe himself exempt from criticism though?
Tony Rowe was responsible for appointing Drewett and for sanctioning the playing budget, the ridiculously large playing squad and the doomed double header so he should be up for some stick but i guess when he has pumped so much money into the club and actually got them into the position for them to "fail" he'll probably get away with it. I wonder what would happen if Leeds slipped again and the Chiefs ended up getting promoted after all- i wonder who would take the credit then?

David Treharne

Tony Rowe was responsible for appointing Drewett and for sanctioning the playing budget, the ridiculously large playing squad and the doomed double header so he should be up for some stick but i guess when he has pumped so much money into the club and actually got them into the position for them to "fail" he'll probably get away with it. I wonder what would happen if Leeds slipped again and the Chiefs ended up getting promoted after all- i wonder who would take the credit then?
Can I also refer you back to the thread on WOWS "Moneybags buyout". Brian, I'm sure that you really meant 'South West Telecoms', but I wouldn't disagree with your sentiments, and its another good reason why in moving our own Club forwards we once again avoid the kind of excesses that you mention.

jambo

Well-known Exeweb poster
Are you sure Chiefs had no choice?
I believe that they didn't.

Btw - wonder where Tony Rowe was on Saturday? because he was certainly nowhere near the Midlands...

Antony Moxey

Do the FA have the same jurisdiction over footballers then? I know players drop out all the time because of 'injuries', but do you 'have' to play for your country, even if it is the equivalent of a five a side knockabout on the other side of the world?

Yes the RFU is the controlling body, but can they force teams to let their employees jet off all over the place when their really needed at their own place of work?

pete_h

Short piece on the Exeter Chiefs up on http://www.sportal.com

Antony Moxey

I wonder what would happen if Leeds slipped again and the Chiefs ended up getting promoted after all- i wonder who would take the credit then?
Be interesting to see Brian! I had this same conversation the other night with a mate of mine who's very much of the oval ball persuasion, especially as Chiefs went top today by a point, but having played a game more than Leeds.

Poultice

Can't rely on the bleds Cornish for anything, just one tackle could have denied them that BP which probaly wouldn't have made any difference but you never know.