• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cheltenham Festival 2022

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Defo best watched on the TV today.

Of course, we'll never know what would have happened had Dysart Dynamo stood up but I thought he was travelling just the better of the two when he fell. The Racing Post comments were as follows:

Plainly, it all depends on the odds but if the two were to meet again and Dysart Dynamo was the longer price I know where my money would go.
Dysart Dynamo ran with the choke out and needs to settle better.

Unfortunately my TV failed to record the races yesterday so I only have the real time viewing to make a judgment.

A level weights rematch would be good and, as you say, VFM in the odds would be a key factor in choosing to bet.

From a purely racing aficionado perspective I would go for Constitution Hill to win again.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Very impressive punting (y) but I make you down if betting to win but up a bit if betting each way.

Just one of the placed horses winning would have made a huge difference
With the exception of the National, rarely if ever bet each way. That being the case, slightly frustrated at the minute - so near and yet so far.

On the plus side, I have five entries in the top 19 for the March / Cheltenham prize in the Tote Ten to Follow, so fingers crossed may enjoy a change of fortune there!

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Dysart Dynamo ran with the choke out and needs to settle better.

Unfortunately my TV failed to record the races yesterday so I only have the real time viewing to make a judgment.

A level weights rematch would be good and, as you say, VFM in the odds would be a key factor in choosing to bet.

From a purely racing aficionado perspective I would go for Constitution Hill to win again.
Dysart Dynamo habitually runs like that so I think he may have got away with it. While it doesn't mean Constitution Hill wouldn't have won anyway, I thought Nico had just started nudging away as they came down the hill before Dysart Dynamo fell.

As regards replays, the Racing TV website is your friend:
Racing Replay: Sky Bet Supreme Novices’ Hurdle (Grade 1) (1) (racingtv.com)

Alistair20000

Dysart Dynamo habitually runs like that so I think he may have got away with it. While it doesn't mean Constitution Hill wouldn't have won anyway, I thought Nico had just started nudging away as they came down the hill before Dysart Dynamo fell.

As regards replays, the Racing TV website is your friend:
Racing Replay: Sky Bet Supreme Novices’ Hurdle (Grade 1) (1) (racingtv.com)
Thank you for the link. (y)

Dysart's fall too far out to form a firm view.

Alistair20000

As Egg has bravely posted up some predictions earlier in the week I will have a go with this Super Heinz. Win only to a notional £1 stake.

Galopin Des Champs
Dunboyne
Allaho
Royal Kahala
Grand Paradis
Dinoblue
Omar Maretti

Anyone else fancy a friendly Exewebbers competition today ?

Reactions: Egg

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Here's my day three super heinz. Few prizes for originality but little point in ignoring the obvious IMO:

1:30 Bob Ollinger: Hold a gun to my head and, with doubts about the form of the de Bromhead stable [Honeysuckle aside], I'd probably go for Galopin Des Champs, but I've been with Bob Ollinger since before last year's Festival so it would seem disloyal to desert him now.
2:10 Sire Du Berlais: The Irish have dominated this record in recent years, and Gordon Elliott has an especially good record, so it's just the small matter of choosing from his six runners. Sire Du Berlais wouldn't look out of place in the stayers, and, moreover, has won this twice before, so with the capable Rob James taking off 7lbs he's the pick.
3:10 Allaho: Looks a banker to me.
3:50 Klassical Dream: God only knows what wins this, you could make a case for half-a-dozen of them. That said, if you forgive Klassical Dream his last run [and Willie Mullins says, with hindsight, it may have come too soon] he'd be half the price so I'll take a chance he can record a second Festival victory.
4:10 Imperial Alcazar: Trained by the ultra-shrewd Fergal O'Brien, won over course & distance on his last run, and looks to me as if he has been plotted up for this.
4:50 Dinoblue: Ultra impressive on her debut, the stable knows a good mare and seems pretty convinced this one is out of the top drawer.
5:30 School Boy Hours: Has the best form in the book and the imperious Derek O'Connor in the saddle, so will do for me.

May the best ExeWebber win!

Alistair20000

Egg has beaten me but it would have been the other way round but for Galopin Des Champs falling at the last with the race at his mercy and handing it to Bob Olinger.

Not a great day for either of us though.

Alistair20000

Just in case Egg fancies a rematch, or anyone else wants a challenge here is my win only Super Heinz:

Vauban - For Willie Mullins but fearing Pied Piper. Teddy Blue at 33/1 worth an each way bet ?
State Man- An impossible handicap but Mullins has laid this one out for this. Similar to Gaelic Warrior on Tuesday but that gamble just failed. May lack the experience for a race of this type but well handicapped.
Hillcrest - Hoping he can see off the Irish. Tough grinding race for novices.
Galvin - Gold Cup and sad not to be there for it. Not the classiest contender but tough, stays all day and will see it out. Drying ground has almost made me switch to the classier Minella Indo. Protektorat best of the home team.
Billaway - Amateur riders and he has one of the best on board. second in this for last two years. Mullins again
Concertista. Mullins again. Harvests these mares races.
Langer Dan - Another tough, impossible handicap. My info is that this one has been laid out of this race and was "having a quiet run" at Taunton last time. I A Connect at 18/1 an interesting each way bet.

A good day for Mullins and Ireland predicted but would be delighted to see some more home team winners.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
1:30 Vauban
2:10 Colonel Mustard
2:50 Hillcrest
3:30 Chantry House
4:10 Winged Leader
4:50 Concertista
5:30 Hollow Games

Fingers crossed for a better showing than yesterday! ;-)

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Egg has beaten me but it would have been the other way round but for Galopin Des Champs falling at the last with the race at his mercy and handing it to Bob Olinger.

Not a great day for either of us though.
Agreed Al, not much of a contest - hopefully we can do better today.

As you suggest, Bob Ollinger was never really travelling at any stage and was very lucky to win. No doubt Galopin Des Champs is a very good horse but Bob Ollinger has to be better than he showed yesterday - heightening my belief there's an issue with the de Bromhead horses, which is a shame cause I think a fully-firing A Plus Tard would have gone very close in the Gold Cup. FWIW, I'm never envisaged I'd be backing Chantry House but, with niggling doubts about so many of the other leading protagonists, I've concluded that if you excuse him his King George Run he could be a bit of value. As an aside, would be nice to see Santini run a big race for East Devon trainer Polly Gundry.

As regards Langer Dan, IMO there's been absolutely no doubt it's been trained with today's race in mind. Finished second in it last year, behind Galopin Des Champs no less, and is only 2lbs higher, while the Taunton run looked like no more than an attempt to blow away a few cobwebs. In short, I'd give him a big chance but how often do these horses that have been plotted up all season with one race in mind come unstuck?!