• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Chiefs, chiefs, chiefs

Red Nose

So the Chiefs have a slender lead going into the second leg of their play-off final against Bristol and remain on the verge of Premiership.

Whereas this can only be good for the city and local area, I’m becoming more convinced that it will be bad news for the football club. I believe that if the Chiefs do get promoted, then we can request to the FL that our home games are played on alternate weekend to when they are home, but what impact will it have on our home attendances, merchandise sales and corporate income? Potentially any impact could have a lingering effect that lasts a generation.

Garethecfc

I wouldnt worry. If people like rugby they'll go anyway. I doubt anyone who was at the Hudders game will start watching the rugby on sat instead

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Potentially any impact could have a lingering effect that lasts a generation.
Not only do I disagree with the level of impact you think it might have, but what exactly are we meant to do EVEN if their promotion would be detrimental to us? If they go up, they've deserved to, end of.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Who are the Chiefs?

LammieLammieLammie

Very well known Exeweb poster
Another name for the suits.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Another name for the suits.
Cheers

Hadn't realised that one of the Bristol teams was playing this weekend at Wembley. Thought it was Cardiff against Blackpool. :S

Red and White Zider

Well-known Exeweb poster
Surely if people were that bothered about the Chiefs then surely we wouldve been the ones to have 4,500 fans againt Hudders and they have the 8,300 against Bedford instead? You look back at that day, it was a massive game for each club but we had almost double the attendance. I cant see it affecting us too much even if they do go up and like has been said if they go up then they deserve to.

Last edited:

flakey pasty

I wish the Chiefs well in their second leg.
I hope the OP is right though in City & Chiefs collaberating over their their respective home fixtures.
Of course it wouldn't tempt the die hard City supporter, but I know many people who watch City who aren't that commited, and would therefore be tempted to matches at Sandy Lane.
I feel sure it would affect our attendances .......

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
I really can't think of anyone who I go to football with, whether they come once or twice a season or are season ticket holders, who would be torn if it comes to watching Premiership Rugby next season or carry on coming to City.

Football wins every time.

Red and White Zider

Well-known Exeweb poster
and would therefore be tempted to matches at Sandy Lane.
I feel sure it would affect our attendances .......

In competition with Dawlish Town FC now are we? ;)