• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Choose the New Third Kit for Next Season

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
View attachment 15766
I'd really like this to be our home kit.
This is probably the best top of the adidas churn we've seen so far and won't even be worn because people will have voted for another eyesore

Grecian Max

I also don't think football fans and trending are not exactly bedfellows 🙂
Nope

There's been an massive overlap between fashion and football in last 5-6 years, I've never seen anything like it - it even goes beyond the 90s Britpop heyday of football shirts worn casually

Huge interest in both vintage shirts and the new, some teams have even essentially become fashion houses (see Venezia, PSG, Bari). I'm not saying City become that, of course not. But leaning into it a smart thing to do, and a number of lower league clubs are doing just that

With the fans-owned setup we have a unique story to tell - best we've done is whack a trust logo onto an adidas template. It was nice enough.

Have a look at the crowd in Glastonbury when it's on and see how many football shirts there are in the crowd worn by the youth.

Grecian Max

I would love to see a City shirt that brings back the proper crest without EXETER CITY written across it, that would be a cool switch up for a third shirt. With a proper 90s style collar.

One day

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Nope

There's been an massive overlap between fashion and football in last 5-6 years, I've never seen anything like it - it even goes beyond the 90s Britpop heyday of football shirts worn casually

Huge interest in both vintage shirts and the new, some teams have even essentially become fashion houses (see Venezia, PSG, Bari). I'm not saying City become that, of course not. But leaning into it a smart thing to do, and a number of lower league clubs are doing just that

With the fans-owned setup we have a unique story to tell - best we've done is whack a trust logo onto an adidas template. It was nice enough.

Have a look at the crowd in Glastonbury when it's on and see how many football shirts there are in the crowd worn by the youth.
This is very true. My teens wear football shirts ranging from England and Brazil shirts to club kits. It's also on trend to wear them oversize. I don't have a problem with it, in fact I quite like it, but then I've also managed to get my head around crocs or sliders and socks!

JCWhoosh

I think the brand name (Adidas) sells a lot of shirts regardless of looks.

Grecian Max

I think the brand name (Adidas) sells a lot of shirts regardless of looks.
Imagine what we could do with both

dnhrn

It’s surprising, especially in recent years why Adidas haven’t leant into the more boutique-y side of design like Kappa or Umbro have. Their trainers have probably never been more ubiquitous and it’s all the retro styles. You can’t move for them currently. Gazelles, campus and sambas (even Rishi Sunak wore a pair!) are by far the most popular trainers worldwide. Yet you see hardly any Trefoil stuff on any of the football kits.

As far as stripes go, I’d love it if we were a bit less married to the idea. Bayern Munich seems much happier to flit between variations. Sometimes stripes, sometimes something else! Historically we’ve had almost every template going so why not mix it up? Just because someone put a massive red Y on our home shirt once, shouldn’t mean we can never play around with it ever again.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
View attachment 15766
I'd really like this to be our home kit.
Stevenage-esque. Fine as a 3rd kit, but as a home kit, not for me.

Nope

Think this is a really good point. In a world where we are always looking at ways we can try and outperform bigger and richer opposition, exploring avenues like this certainly seem like a sensible play.

We've had quite a few kits in the past 30-35 years that I think could do really well if re-imagined and brought back as an actual home or away shirt for that season. Granted, it takes someone to design it and then production costs - something maybe we lose out on being with someone like Adidas who won't be committing to bespoke kits for an Exeter City like perhaps the smaller brands would do, although, then you lose the pull of the Adidas brand, which I would imagine impacted the non-playing kit sales far more since we signed with them than a Joma or Carbrini.

I think there's a market for it in English football. We may even also be able to jump onto some of the popularity of the MNFC pod, and given the power of social media, a slick retro kit or a 'fashion' kit is certainly more likely to end up going viral and being bought by non City supporters than ever before.

Also like your comment about the badge, I loved our old crest and whilst I appreciate moving with the times and adopting the more conformed shape/style for modern day purposes, for me I'll always prefer the crest in its' old styles.

Antony Moxey

I would love to see a City shirt that brings back the proper crest without EXETER CITY written across it, that would be a cool switch up for a third shirt. With a proper 90s style collar.

One day
Yes, I'd agree with this. When I started the Merchandise thread a while back I mentioned the Miami Dolphins merch available (and no, I'm not saying we should try and compete with the NFL) - have a look at their stuff, there's loads with just the logo and no name, plus they do stuff with their nickname if you like, so why can't we have, as an example, a black T shirt simply emblazoned with 'Grecians' in gold in a heavy type-face across the chest?

There's ways of doing football clobber that doesn't say it's football clobber.