• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Christy Pym has gone Posh

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
FOR PATE : RON SPRINGETT / 5ft 9 ins

Springett has been described by The Independent as a clever, consistent, "brave and agile goalkeeper", with an excellent positional sense. Despite his small stature and lack of physicality, which gave him a slight disadvantage against larger, more physical centre-forwards, he was "adept at choosing the precise moment to smother shots at the feet of attackers, accepting that such plunges would result in occasional injuries. Swift of foot, deftly assured with his hands and adept at judging when to leave his goal-line, he could be a gloriously entertaining performer, though for all his acrobatics, his lack of height occasionally made him vulnerable to sudden long shots." Regarded as one of England's greatest ever goalkeepers, he was known for his determination, athleticism, and the "thoroughness of his preparation, as he kept a notebook in which recorded the preferred spot-kick methods of all his leading opponents".[4]

Last edited by a moderator:

IndoMike

Tried to edit the spelling errors above but of course the Edit function was not working. Meanwhile China is sending a rocket to Mars

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Tried to edit the spelling errors above but of course the Edit function was not working. Meanwhile China is sending a rocket to Mars
Edit on it works for me.

IndoMike

Edit on it works for me.
Then please edit the typos on my post. You do realize that people are constantly having difficulty with various functions on this website?

PeteUSA

FOR PATE : RON SPRINGETT / 5ft 9 ins

Springett has been described by The Independent as a clever, consistent, "brave and agile goalkeeper", with an excellent positional sense. Despite his small stature and lack of physicality, which gave him a slight disadvantage against larger, more physical centre-forwards, he was "adept at choosing the precise moment to smother shots at the feet of attackers, accepting that such plunges would result in occasional injuries. Swift of foot, deftly assured with his hands and adept at judging when to leave his goal-line, he could be a gloriously entertaining performer, though for all his acrobatics, his lack of height occasionally made him vulnerable to sudden long shots." Regarded as one of England's greatest ever goalkeepers, he was known for his determination, athleticism, and the "thoroughness of his preparation, as he kept a notebook in which recorded the preferred spot-kick methods of all his leading opponents".

[4]
Indeed, Ron Springett was an excellent keeper who caught crosses and corners with consumate ease, noteably in the Cup Final of 1966. His height passed unnoticed as far as I, and I'm sure many other people noticed - as I said previously, this would have been because he did everything else right. He made the Sheffield United number one spot his own for many seasons as well as gaining many England caps. He was to be seen as a youngster playing for QPR v Exeter City in 1956. 0-0 draw.

City fans might be more familiar with his younger brother Peter, who also played for QPR and Sheffield United. Peter was in goal when we played and beat Sheffield United in the League Cup in 1968. He had awful problems with citys floodlights, and missed many a cross! He wasnt really in the same class as Ron and tumbled down to Barnsley, then in the 4th Division. He was in the Barnsley team that we beat away 4-3 after being 3-0 down at halftime.

He joined the Police Force when his playing days were over, but sadly died at a very young age - approx 45 from memory.

PeteUSA

EDIT: Ron Springetts club would have been Sheffield Wednesday, not United. I had no time to edit the inaccuracy!!

Alistair20000

EDIT: Ron Springetts club would have been Sheffield Wednesday, not United. I had no time to edit the inaccuracy!!
Have you had time to edit your application form to join the Trust yet Pate ?

Just interested like.

Last edited:

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
The match in question. A tale of two keepers? when you need Pierre where is he

PeteUSA

I've never seen an example of Pym being inhibited by his lack of inches like that before. Much of it is down to his poor positional play though.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
I've never seen an example of Pym being inhibited by his lack of inches like that before. Much of it is down to his poor positional play though.
Pssibly what Mr Ferguson might have advised him but perhaps a bit blunter