• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Club's financial accounts for 2013/14

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
So, with the reduction of off field costs, forecasts of better than break even budgeting, and the Grimes windfall, how far away from the precipice have we moved ?

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Niether Wolfie or Chorlton were replaced were they? So assuming that Tagg didnt Tag any extra remuneration for himself onto his already hefty salary when he took over Chorltons role, there must be some saving there?

hatch4england

2 questions
1. Would the club have had a less capable board if salaries were not paid?
2. Would the club be in a better financial position?

If the answer to 1 is 'no' (as I believe it is), the the answer to 2 is 'yes, by about £1m or so since the Trust took control...and financial stability would nto be a perennial issue.

ExiledUpNorth

There will be plenty of analysis involved, e.g. time of year, size of oppo, projected league position and form, etc.

The previous season, IIRC, they got it almost spot on.
I hope you're correct, but the wording of John Williams post doesn't convince me! Regardless though, I find it alarming that we have allowed a significant contributor to the financial projections of the club could to end up being 10% out, on the low side. I would have hoped that there would be some kind of simulation run on the potential gates/form of the club, with any projections then using a prudent estimate from these results?

It would be interesting to look at historic gates at city, to run some sort of analysis on what the key factors are. I have a feeling that more than current form, past season position/current season expectation could be the most important variable. If we end up outside the play-offs, and then go on to lose 'exciting' players in the summer (Tom Nichols, don't sign Lee Holmes etc.), and then fail to replace them with names, I think we're bound to lose a fairly significant number off the turnstile.

Boyo

I hope you're correct, but the wording of John Williams post doesn't convince me! Regardless though, I find it alarming that we have allowed a significant contributor to the financial projections of the club could to end up being 10% out, on the low side. I would have hoped that there would be some kind of simulation run on the potential gates/form of the club, with any projections then using a prudent estimate from these results?

It would be interesting to look at historic gates at city, to run some sort of analysis on what the key factors are. I have a feeling that more than current form, past season position/current season expectation could be the most important variable. If we end up outside the play-offs, and then go on to lose 'exciting' players in the summer (Tom Nichols, don't sign Lee Holmes etc.), and then fail to replace them with names, I think we're bound to lose a fairly significant number off the turnstile.
I’d argue that past season position/current season expectations are the most important variable on season ticket sales, however current form and league table position will be the most important variable on pay on the day punters. When it comes to making crowd predictions, it’s actually only the number of POTD punters that matter from a financial perspective (I’m assuming the gates committee have a steer on the number of season tickets sold).

Historic analysis would be interesting, though I doubt would be hugely beneficial, as it depends so much on performances on the pitch. Additionally the number of away fans can fluctuate wildly (depending upon their respective performances). Who would have predicted that Scunny would bring considerably more away fans than Torquay?

The gates committee could be conservative in their estimates, but I would rather they were bold and tried to predict the actual numbers rather than erring on the side of caution. It should then be the Club Boards’ job to build in a margin of error.

Boyo

2 questions
1. Would the club have had a less capable board if salaries were not paid?
2. Would the club be in a better financial position?

If the answer to 1 is 'no' (as I believe it is), the the answer to 2 is 'yes, by about £1m or so since the Trust took control...and financial stability would nto be a perennial issue.
1 (genuine) question:
Do you know anyone who would do it for free?

athenasbra

What does he actually have to do for his heafty salary and the perks of travelling up with the team to away games and staying in the teams hotel ? not a bad job if you ask me.

hatch4england

The club never paid any directors before Russell and Lewis as far as I am aware. Indeed, the times I was asked to join the board, I would have been expected to pay £5k+ a year for the privilege. Most clubs at the lower levels have directors that are willing to finance the club, not ones that suck its lifeblood out.

Of course, we'll never know if the question isn't asked. There are certainly some here who are clearly capable and who would, i am sure be a credit to the club if they were willing.

neilybags

There is an obvious connection between what goes on on the field and our finances. Our gate has steadily dwindled over the last 3 seasons. Poor results and dire performances have driven away many supporters. Plus the impact of the Exeter Chiefs. If we are going to be viable financially in the longer term we have to start producing something that people want to come and see.

eurogrecian

There is an obvious connection between what goes on on the field and our finances. Our gate has steadily dwindled over the last 3 seasons. Poor results and dire performances have driven away many supporters. If we are going to be viable financially in the longer term we have to start producing something that people want to come and see.
Looks like home gate has actually gone up this season despite mixed results. 3,701 last season, 3830 (so far) this.

Last edited: