• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Compare and Contrast Exeter City 1994 to 2022

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
I don't think anyone with more than half a brain cell questions what the club has achieved under trust stewardship, its brought stability and progression both on and off the field. The question now is to continue to progress do we need a different model? Has the current model taken us as far as it can? Just because 30 years ago our private ownership nearly made us extinct doesn't mean the same would happen now.

I don't believe anyone, even the most anti-trust amongst us, want the trust to pass the club over to the first person who comes and waves a few quid about, but that's not to say that there isn't another model, away from the one we currently operate under, that wouldn't benefit the club and allow us to progress to the next step again. My thoughts are the Trust has been on the whole excellent and served us well, but we have probably maximised what we can achieve under it, and within time we would drop back down a division again. Of course, a different ownership model isn't a golden ticket to success, but if we don't explore other avenues I don't believe we will have long term progression on the field and off the field we'll continue to bob around keeping our heads just above the water.
No need to change the model explain to the 3,000 or so additional supporters now regularly attending games how much has been achieved with a Trust membership of circa 3,000.

How much more can be achieved if they join and double the numbers and go all out to persuade them to join.

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
No need to change the model explain to the 3,000 or so additional supporters now regularly attending games how much has been achieved with a Trust membership of circa 3,000.

How much more can be achieved if they join and double the numbers and go all out to persuade them to join.
In 2007 whilst on the Trust Board I organised a drop of approximately 60,000 leaflets in the East Devon area, complete with a form to join the Trust. There were approximately 50 volunteers (mainly from Exeweb) who agreed to do the drop and each was given a map detailing the streets to be covered. This immediately increased the membership by 600. With the benefit of seeing how well the Trust has performed since that date why doesn't one of the current Trustees carry out the same exercise?!!!!

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
In 2007 whilst on the Trust Board I organised a drop of approximately 60,000 leaflets in the East Devon area, complete with a form to join the Trust. There were approximately 50 volunteers (mainly from Exeweb) who agreed to do the drop and each was given a map detailing the streets to be covered. This immediately increased the membership by 600. With the benefit of seeing how well the Trust has performed since that date why doesn't one of the current Trustees carry out the same exercise?!!!!
Remember it well and certainly would be worth repeating now.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
If I was gonna start with either Stano or Nombe, it would be the latter. Can't help thinking Sam's greater physicality would be more help early doors, while Jay could be really dangerous off the bench.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
Remember it well and certainly would be worth repeating now.
I was doing the membership administration at that time. The exercise was a good effort, but it did not bring in 600 new members.

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
I was doing the membership administration at that time. The exercise was a good effort, but it did not bring in 600 new members.
Martin, 600 is certainly my recollection as I was obviously very keen to see what the exercise produced at that time. And, didn't the Trust membership jump to over 4,000 shortly afterwards?

tonykellowfan

I think what is important is the quality of the match day experience and that does mean food and drink.

If we are selling out and cannot serve food and drink properly we will be putting people off.

cambmike

I think what is important is the quality of the match day experience and that does mean food and drink.

If we are selling out and cannot serve food and drink properly we will be putting people off.
I think one of the major changes has been that the club is seen as so much more of Exeter - community trust, 1/2 marathon, Santa run and many other initiatives - alongside all the match day activities especially for families

WXF

I think it's worth remembering quite how terrible the club's reputation used to be, not just providing what many considered crap football, but having been a bad debtor over many years and eventually defaulting on numerous debts to parties throughout the local economy. A great deal of good will has been built up and maintained during the era of Trust ownership and including because the club is majority fan owned. It's another asset that sometimes gets overlooked.

Last edited: