• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Contract Extensions

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
As an aside if Vil wins POTY he will be in The Championship next season rather on loan with us. Similar situation to Stanno.
Not necessarily. Very few Championship sides I suspect have goalkeepers on lon as their number one. It's clearly much easier for a forward player like Stanno to get an upward move as strikers on loan are hot property. Goalkeepers not sure

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not necessarily. Very few Championship sides I suspect have goalkeepers on lon as their number one. It's clearly much easier for a forward player like Stanno to get an upward move as strikers on loan are hot property. Goalkeepers not sure
Agreed. Not only that but Championship sides will want experience too.

You only have to look at Cameron Dawson. He was phenomenal for us in L2. Went back to Wednesday and wasn't first choice in L1 initially but once we helped him out at SJP by showing up Stockdale he took his chance but has never been afforded much (any?) game time this season.

Dawson has much more experience than Sinisalo. At his age I can see Sinisalo being in L1 again next season.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Agreed. Not only that but Championship sides will want experience too.

You only have to look at Cameron Dawson. He was phenomenal for us in L2. Went back to Wednesday and wasn't first choice in L1 initially but once we helped him out at SJP by showing up Stockdale he took his chance but has never been afforded much (any?) game time this season.

Dawson has much more experience than Sinisalo. At his age I can see Sinisalo being in L1 again next season.
Cam's played 20 games this season:

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Cam's played 20 games this season:
Didn't realise he'd played that many.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I am not an expert on the Championship but one example is Carl Rushworth, who we've come up against a few times. Even if Vil doesn't get a Championship loan, I'd expect him to get interest from one of the clubs who are expecting to compete at the top of League One season.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Including loans, we lost fifteen players last summer that we have replaced with twenty players over the two transfer windows and those out of contract in September. I can't remember that kind of rebuild in recent years. Maybe have to go back to Noel Blake for that amount of player turnover.

Whilst it will be a significant number of churn in the summer, I doubt we will be too near those numbers so a move in the right direction hopefully. A few more contact extensions wouldn't go amiss though.
The big difference next summer is not just the numbers but the quality of the players we we will be looking to replace. Apart from Vil and maybe Chieck and Tom Carroll, few of the players who are leaving are amongst our best players or the core of the side in the way that Josh, Jevani, Sam, Jay and Archie were. (Demi is an exception but we are already used to playing without him.)

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Isn't Cam Dawson being kept out of Wednesday's number 1 keeper spot by a loanee ? :unsure:

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Isn't Cam Dawson being kept out of Wednesday's number 1 keeper spot by a loanee ? :unsure:
Beadle is on loan but joined in Jan having started the season in League One which kinda illustrates my point that season long loans don't seem that frequent in the Championship. Perhaps after shipping 6 v Ipswich Wednesday my be realising he's a bit too young at 19 for a Championship move

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
I am not an expert on the Championship but one example is Carl Rushworth, who we've come up against a few times. Even if Vil doesn't get a Championship loan, I'd expect him to get interest from one of the clubs who are expecting to compete at the top of League One season.
Yes I agree a top end L1 club could well be the preference for Villa but I'm hoping that after Vil feels the love of winning all the Player of the Season awards he will persuade Villa that he wants to come back to us ;)

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes I agree a top end L1 club could well be the preference for Villa but I'm hoping that after Vil feels the love of winning all the Player of the Season awards he will persuade Villa that he wants to come back to us ;)
But, like Jay before him, his development would be better served by challenging himself at a club further up the football pecking order.