• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Crowdfunding a Transfer

Bittners a Legend

Ryan Harley being photographed at St James Park had me wondering about this.

Is there any merit to it?

Could it be an "open" fund for Tisdale to bring in whomever he likes or would it need to be for a specific player and would that prove problematic in terms of a time period to raise the funds by?

I think it would have to be a crowdfund whereby none of the money is released unless the target is reached which also might make the process very difficult to achieve.

For what it is worth I don't think it is our job as supporters, or even as owners, to fund the club anymore than we do while there is such a need for off-field cuts, in my opinion, but nevertheless thought it was something worth discussing.

Are there people out there who would consider paying into such a fund?

wemissmoxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
If I trusted the manager and rated his eye for a player I would have no problem supporting this kind of thing however I don't trust him and I don't think he has a very good eye for a player.

Look at what he did with the previous fund that was given to him by the supporters.

Last edited:

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
1931 essentially is an attempt to do this but targeted at young players.

So on that level it can work!

globegrecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
One example: there is a relatively small group of rail enthusiasts based up in North Devon who are building a replica of a locomotive that ran on the old Lynton to Barnstaple Railway. Since 2009 they have raised £251,000 in memberships and sponsorship, or put another way, over £50,000 per year:

http://www.762club.com/762home.php.

It can be done, but you need belief in those who are recipients of the funds.

Last edited:

Pete Martin (CTID)

It can be done, but you need belief in those who are recipients of the funds.
The crowdfunding concept is something that had been going through my mind for some time as a way of bringing extra cash into the club.

I think that it would need to be specifically targeted (I.e., no chance of it getting sucked into the black hole) and, as Globey says, it would need to be secure. I believe that the Supporters Club would be the ideal channel for this.

Antony Moxey

The fact that such an awful buzzword as 'crowdfunding' has now crept into every day use means I hope such a means of buying a player never happens.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Like others, it has occurred to me on more than one occasion that the club might, perhaps, be able to take advantage of the crowd funding phenomenon.

Interestingly, the No.1 crowd funding site, crowdcube – which raised £1.2 million in 16 minutes earlier this week to help fund its own expansion - is Exeter-based and, I believe, at least one of the founders is a big City fan so if the club ever wanted any advice on the merits of such an approach, or the technicalities of doing it, that would seem a logical starting point.

www.crowdcube.com

Pete Martin (CTID)

The fact that such an awful buzzword as 'crowdfunding' has now crept into every day use means I hope such a means of buying a player never happens.
Why does that not surprise me?

Antony Moxey

Why does that not surprise me?
What, that I don't like trendy buzzwords? I know, always been a bit of a traditionalist in that respect.

IndoMike

What, that I don't like trendy buzzwords? I know, always been a bit of a traditionalist in that respect.
"Buzzword" is a trendy buzzword